I am SO gonna tan her hide!!! What so ya think of the Ol'Girl now?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
That is so cool! I would love to try tanning. I could also picture how that would go over with my SO... I'm not even "allowed" to use the sheepskins I bought :hide I used to sleep on one and the kids each had one to sleep on. So, I will learn and tan vicariously.

What is the acid chemical in the kit? Citric acid? Does that get strong enough?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Very interesting thread! I am going to try to tan rabbit hides but so far I only have one.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was given 3 deer hides to tan last year. By my 3rd one, fleshing it out was much easier. I used arrowheads (that I'd found which had surfaced from the soil) as I didn't have a fleshing knife and they worked surprisingly well.

All 3 have been salted (used un-iodized from the store), I'm just waiting until we can get over to Salem, AR to get my alum so that I can get them tanned. I've left the hair on the hides and not sure what I will do with them yet.

I'll post pix as soon as I come across them as they're still on doc's laptop.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I tanned a deer skin about 7 years ago. It came out pretty hard, but made an ok rug.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
She's lovely! What are you planning on doing with her?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Was it difficult to get al the debris out of the fur? I was toldby one person that sheepskins were a pita, but then just recently, someone else told me they were not tht bad. I do plan on doing this one day when I process my next lambs. But I would like to hera your opinion of the whole process, esp on the crud in the fur.

Latest posts