I am SO gonna tan her hide!!! What so ya think of the Ol'Girl now?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I had just finished my two sheep hides when we went on a long driving vacation. We used the freshly tanned hides as truck seat covers and let our butts do a lot of the break in for us. ;) Evenings camping were spent with hubby and I each brushing and fluffing a hide. :lol: Man do WE know how to have a good time! :gig

Added ... When I FIRST got the pelts back from the butcher shop they stunk something horrible! My first act of cleaning them was a trip to the local car wash and I used the pressure washers on them! Fur side AND inside, which helped take off a lot of the fat and yuck. (no soap of course ;) )

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Farm, I bet the people in the car wash were wondering what the heck you were doing. :lol:
Nah. I farm in the BIG city. I am used to covert operations. Me and my big dog were at the car wash at 11:00 PM! :p :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
TanksHill said:
Farm, I bet the people in the car wash were wondering what the heck you were doing. :lol:
Nah. I farm in the BIG city. I am used to covert operations. Me and my big dog were at the car wash at 11:00 PM! :p :lol:
I'm picturing this on the security camera......:gig

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Farmfresh said:
TanksHill said:
I'm picturing this on the security camera......:gig
The OLD cheapo car wash ... no camera! ;) ;)

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Damummis said:
I already had the hide cooled and salted while I waited for my kit. I had also fleshed most of it. That was hard.
Reeeaally (she says squealing)???? We've been reading up on tanning, brain tanning, etc. in prep. for all that's ahead. Dang, so it's hard to do, huh? The fleshing part, I mean! Well, to be forewarned as they say. I am wanting to tan our goat hides and rabbit. Basically anything we eat I can't see letting something good as hide go to waste. I'm thinking of sewing the rabbit hides into items; i.e., baby booties, blankets, whatever I can to get a return on our investment. I too will be reading with interest :pop

eta: oh, and, I have a secret wish to make buckskin and sew an Indian dress for me and his lil girl. Oh, and make some mocassins to match, of course. Every January the Florida Frontiersmen have an 1840 rendevous. Lee being of the Cherokee persuasion (that mixes well with his Irishness, LOL) and me being of somebody's persuasion (most Black folk I know say they have Indian, I may as well jump the bandwagon) we want to participate as Indians.

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I had just finished my two sheep hides when we went on a long driving vacation. We used the freshly tanned hides as truck seat covers and let our butts do a lot of the break in for us. ;) Evenings camping were spent with hubby and I each brushing and fluffing a hide. :lol: Man do WE know how to have a good time! :gig

Added ... When I FIRST got the pelts back from the butcher shop they stunk something horrible! My first act of cleaning them was a trip to the local car wash and I used the pressure washers on them! Fur side AND inside, which helped take off a lot of the fat and yuck. (no soap of course ;) )
WOW!! How cool is that, FarmFresh??? You know, I don't know how I would have survived our upcoming move to the land without knowledgeable people on discussion boards like this AND willing to share.

Thank YOU.

Latest posts