I can answer your baking questions! Let share fun recipes!

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Alright! I can answer any questions you have concerning baking and cooking! We can also are fun recipes on this thread! Here is the first one-
The full link- https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/blueberry-oatmeal-muffins/

And the ingreiednts copy and pasted, enjoy!-
  • 1 cup (240ml) milk
  • 1 cup (80g) old-fashioned whole rolled oats
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (156g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) honey
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (190g) fresh or frozen blueberries (see note if using frozen)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Uff dah. Well, I mixed it up and thought "there is no way this runny batter will set up as cookies"

I added flour and forgot to add nuts.

They look okay but are bland and a little too crumbly.

The cookbook is supposed to be healthier foods so I think some of their substitutions made it "off". These are for my kids so I'm going to look up a normal oatmeal cookie recipe with butter and sugar and add the fruit and nuts to it.

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Uff dah. Well, I mixed it up and thought "there is no way this runny batter will set up as cookies"

I added flour and forgot to add nuts.

They look okay but are bland and a little too crumbly.

The cookbook is supposed to be healthier foods so I think some of their substitutions made it "off". These are for my kids so I'm going to look up a normal oatmeal cookie recipe with butter and sugar and add the fruit and nuts to it.
What happened with the batter? Who did eh substitutions make it runny? I am happy to help you figure it out! Oh! Andhere is my go to 5 minuet super heathy oatmeal cookie recipe! I am a minor, and I still love them!
https://runningonrealfood.com/flourless-peanut-butter-banana-oatmeal-cookies/ - you can use honey as a sweetener too, i use it all the time!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The recipe calls for "neutral flavor cooking oil" and sweetened with maple syrup. The bones of the recipe are 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup syrup, 1 cup oats, 1 cup flour, 1 egg

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think a stick of butter and 1 cup sugar would work better. Cream it, add the egg, add the spice/vanilla/leavening, then flour, oats, fruit and nuts.
Ya, that sounds better. I have never had any good luck with using oil. It is to soft. This is how google put it, but a good rule of thumb- Cookies (Oil Option) – Use half the amount of oil in cookie recipes that call for butter, but add liquid as needed. So if your recipe calls for 1 cup butter, substitute 1/2 cup oil and add liquid until the dough comes together and looks properly hydrated. It is possible that the recipe didn't cut the oil content in half, and that resulted in the thin batter. That is what I would guess.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I didnt know that substitution! I think your explanation is plausible!

I have 2 sticks of butter and two eggs sitting on the counter to warm to room temp. I'm planning to make 2 batches tomorrow with different fruits.

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I didnt know that substitution! I think your explanation is plausible!

I have 2 sticks of butter and two eggs sitting on the counter to warm to room temp. I'm planning to make 2 batches tomorrow with different fruits.
Ya, try butter. If you try my go to recipe, tell me! I hope it turns out this time!