I can freeze tomatoes before I can them, right?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I want to do sauce and juice this year. My tomatoes are coming in sporadically - too many to eat and not enough for a cooker full.

I'm thinking I can leave them whole, toss in a freezer bag and put in the freeze. Can I can peel, core and freeze them for later use?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We peel them, core them and freeze them until we have enough for a large batch, and we do this every year. Go for it!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Actually, if you freeze them whole...you take them out to thaw and they will peel themselves for you! The peeling just falls off in your hand.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yup, as Beekissed says it can actually be *easier* to do it that way (like, on purpose) if you have the freezer space available for a little while :)

Have fun,

Pat

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Actually, if you freeze them whole...you take them out to thaw and they will peel themselves for you! The peeling just falls off in your hand.
I just LOVE this place!! That would be sooooo much easier than scalding them to peel them!!!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks! I really needed to know this!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I do have the freezer space. I didn't know that about the peeling falling off when they thaw. I went ahead and scalded the few that I had. That is good to know.

Ya'll are so smart. :D

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
just when i felt like i knew alot about canning and stuff you have to go and smash my fragile male ego :/ . i had no idea you could freeze the peelings off a mater. we always had so many we just always scalded them. what else can you freeze the peelings off of?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so your probably going to think I am crazy but..... Last year I had tomatoes ripe and had never done sauce before. I did not want to peel so I got to thinking... No it didn't hurt. :lol:

Anyways I have a whole foods blender. A blend-tech from when I had to puree everything after dh mouth surgery. I pulled out the recipe book and there was a tom sauce. It has some seasoning, a bit of onion and tom paste in it. I made about ten batches. Poured them all in a big pot on the stove for flavor consistency then canned it. The good thing here was that you do not peel the tomatoes.

I think the sauce turned out great. I never had any problems with it and the flavor was mild enough to use in many recipe's.

what do ya think? Any reason you have to peel them????