I can freeze tomatoes before I can them, right?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Actually there are a lot of good nutrients in the peelings of veggies and tomatoes do not have bitter peelings, so I can't see whyever not!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Tanks, my mom has a Vitamix (King of all Food Processors :bow ) and, unless she is just canning maters outright, she throws everything in there, skin and all.

To make sauces and everything thicker, she loves the fact that you won't even see skin fragments.
I know that larger pieces of skin can create tough little "bits" in some sauces and such.

I also read somewhere that you could cut up your maters into a large bowl or pan and put them in the fridge. In the morning you could scoop off all the clear liquid off the top ( I always call it serous fluid~ you know, former Red Cross nurse :p ). After that, it doesn't take as long to cook it to a thicker consistency for sauces and such.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I freeze tomatoes for later use, but I also make tomato sauce etc in season. I DO NOT PEAL my tomatoes. I chop them up pretty small (1/4-1/2" pieces at the skin part) and cook them up peels and all. I have had no complains. Waste not, want not. that goes for the product as well as my time.

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like to use my slow cooker to cook the juice down. Just leave the lid off. I can let it cook down while I'm busy doing other things and not worry about it burning.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Frosting said:
I like to use my slow cooker to cook the juice down. Just leave the lid off. I can let it cook down while I'm busy doing other things and not worry about it burning.
That is a great idea, never thought of it. I'm assuming on low heat, right? About how long does it take for the consistency of sauce?

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, low heat. I don't do sauce so I don't know how long it takes. I like my juice thicker than normal though so this is how I do it. I usually have it ready to put on in the morning when I get up and then can the juice after DH goes to work.

You probably could hurry it up using high heat. You would just need to be working where you could keep an eye on it, at least the first time, to see how it goes.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ok so your probably going to think I am crazy but..... Last year I had tomatoes ripe and had never done sauce before. I did not want to peel so I got to thinking... No it didn't hurt. :lol:

Anyways I have a whole foods blender. A blend-tech from when I had to puree everything after dh mouth surgery. I pulled out the recipe book and there was a tom sauce. It has some seasoning, a bit of onion and tom paste in it. I made about ten batches. Poured them all in a big pot on the stove for flavor consistency then canned it. The good thing here was that you do not peel the tomatoes.

I think the sauce turned out great. I never had any problems with it and the flavor was mild enough to use in many recipe's.

what do ya think? Any reason you have to peel them????
This is how we do our tomatoes and our apples for applesauce. We have a Victorio strainer we process them through.