i cut a big chunk out of the tip of my finger

jjhuntsalot

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I was slicing some potatos on a mandolin and took a chunk out of my ring finger on my right hand. This was about 1.5 hours ago just loosened the bandage because i think i was cutting off circulation it was all tingly but i couldn't feel it otherwise. it was still bleeding pretty good when i checked it. I don't know what they could do at the ER the chuck is totaly missing so they can't stich it up. but i can't keep the ciculation cut off. Does anyone know anything i can do to stop the bleeding? I know to lay down apply direct pressure and keep it elevated. sorry about the typos and run on sentences i have to type while laying on the couch and only left handed.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Super glue. It was originally designed as liquid stitches and will save ya a bundle in unnecessary ER visits....but THEY won't tell ya that ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I wouldn't use super glue in a cut of this nature. This will have to heal by second intention, so its best if you keep the wound bed clean and moist for a few days until it grows a good covering.

These cuts are just the worst and you may always feel a little numbness in that area.

As for stopping the bleeding...you can apply ice and a pressure bandage but use a nonstick dressing directly on the site before you apply a pressure pack. If not, when you remove it, you may start that bleeding all over again.

A regular band aid has a nonstick surface, so apply one to the area whether its still bleeding or not. Then fold a gauze, tissue, paper towel, etc. to a small and bulky square and apply to the site over top the band aid. Now tape it tightly but not so tightly that the finger turns purple or discolored in any way. Just tight enough to hold firm pressure to your folded dressing/wound site.

Now put an ice pack wrapped in something dry near the site...sort of lay your finger/hand on the pack and then elevate on a pillow. Lie down and take it easy for a minute.

Leave that pressure dressing on for awhile. You may still get some seepage when you remove it but it won't be like it is now.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I lost a chunk of my knuckle in a grinder at work...super glue sealed it off and stopped the bleeding. If pressure is not helping to stop the bleeding, something has to be done. The glue falls off in a few days and regular healing will take over then. Just sayin...that was my experience, and mine was a pretty large loss of flesh. :hu Grinders are evil machines btw.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Cayenne pepper...no kidding, research it, don't take it just from me, I haven't tried it myself, but apperently it is wonderful...
I was going to say flour, but flour isn't for deep wounds like yours.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I lost a chunk of my knuckle in a grinder at work...super glue sealed it off and stopped the bleeding. If pressure is not helping to stop the bleeding, something has to be done. The glue falls off in a few days and regular healing will take over then. Just sayin...that was my experience, and mine was a pretty large loss of flesh. :hu Grinders are evil machines btw.
I'm not saying it doesn't work...heck, cauterizing it with a hot poker would work also! :p It works and is a great "guy" solution to the problem of using what is at hand in an emergency situation.

But do you really want to put a toxic substance on a very vascular wound, then to be absorbed into your system? I know they do it in the hospitals and such but then, they do a lot of things I wouldn't let them do to my body.

There are other, less drastic and caustic ways to stop bleeding....this is the natural remedies section. ;) :D

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Ahh! The "Evil Finger slicer" has got another one!

I was so careful tonight when I made fried potatoes and fresh potato chips.

I agree, I am not sure the ER is going to do much for you.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The Bat got nailed by the apple peeler the other day and should have had sutures...but we pressure bandaged it here at home and kept the edges sealed together afterwards with strategically placed bandaids.

It was looking great until she started bleaching canning jars a few days later and ruined the seal. Now it is healing by second intention also. :rolleyes:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Wannabefree said:
I'm not saying it doesn't work...heck, cauterizing it with a hot poker would work also! :p It works and is a great "guy" solution to the problem of using what is at hand in an emergency situation.

But do you really want to put a toxic substance on a very vascular wound, then to be absorbed into your system? I know they do it in the hospitals and such but then, they do a lot of things I wouldn't let them do to my body.

There are other, less drastic and caustic ways to stop bleeding....this is the natural remedies section. ;) :D
I'm not a guy. Missed the "natural remedies" thing. Flour will stop bleeding too. I just don't think of super glue as toxic. :hu Wasn't trying to start a war...