I don't care if...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I never get another chick again!!!!!!!!!! :barnie

None of the people who said they wanted chicks have come to get any!!!! I still have ALL the chicks, ok well all the ones that haven't DIED.

I've lost a total of 57 chicks :/

The hatchery said they will replace the chicks I lost. Um, ah, I don't want them??? but I can't afford to take a loss, either, so I have to let them replace the chicks because a refund is not an option...If the chicks had been DOA, then I could get a refund. :barnie

I sat at the feedstore ALL morning...she had exactly ONE customer...and he only came in to buy DOG TREATS. :he

I packed up and came home. Told her if anyone came in asking for chicks to send them to my house.

So, I'm stuck. I have currently about 140 RIR, 30 BR, and about 30 Ameracaunas..... :barnie and next week, they're sending me close to 60 replacement chicks!

WHAT AM I GONNA DO????????????

Anyone want to come over for BBQ in a few weeks?

:barnie

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Aly, I guess I missed your post - how did you end up with so many? Did you have a deal with someone to sell them? If you need to, can you lower your price, 'have a sale' to unload some of them?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Quail......where are you in Ohio? Anywhere near Mansfield?

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Aly, I guess I missed your post - how did you end up with so many? Did you have a deal with someone to sell them? If you need to, can you lower your price, 'have a sale' to unload some of them?
I had agreed with the local feedstore to host "chick days" and they told me they had people lined up to buy the chicks.

Chicks came in yesterday and they want me to transport the chicks to the feedstore daily, set up, sit there (in an unheated store mind you) and wait for people to come in and buy the chicks.

I am supposed to get 100% of the chick profits, and the feedstore owner is looking at making $ from the sale of chick supplies...well he sold OUT of his chick supplies to people waiting on the chicks...I called down, told them the chicks were in, and told them I would be down today. He asked me to be there by 10 am because he had people coming to buy some RIR's. So I took about 100 of the RIR's down. It's so cold there that even having a heat light can't keep the chicks warm. I told them I cannot sit there with chicks in that cold room. They said OK.

In the few hours I was down there, there were no customers.

I told them I would come back on Friday and set up, because it is supposed to be warmer and that is one of their busier days anyway.

In the meantime, they have my contact information and they know where I live and I said they can send people wanting the chicks to my house.

I was just a little frustrated when I posted this earlier because the lady in the feedstore was saying things about someone I know, and I had no patience with her gossipping. I got home and was feeling a bit overwhelmed, so I came here to let off some steam.

The chicks are only $2 each but DH and I were working out the math tonight to see if I can lower the price on them without losing too much money on it.

SKR8PN, I am not sure how far from Mansfield I am. I know I am an hour and a half from Massillon.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:hugs I would be frustrated too! Maybe the feedstore has been stuck with chicks before too and that is why they let you take the burden on this year! It is very frustrating when people say they are going to do something and then don't! Everyday that goes by you are feeding them and losing more and more $$! :( I would not go less than $2 each because if you ever do this again people will expect them to be that cheap again.
Have you posted on Craigslist that you have peeps and that you will be at the feedstore at a certain time or that they can contact you personally if they want some? Have you called the 4H leader and asked them to send out a mass email to all of their 4H families saying that you have them with your contact info? I get a 4H email about once a week about different people selling or looking for certain animals/things. What about putting a sign out to the end of your driveway by your mailbox saying "PEEPS FOR SALE"?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Oh that sucks! To think I am stressed about getting a few extra roos as packing peanuts...I can't imagine having HUNDREDS to unload! Yikes!
Good Luck....I know you, you'll make it work.

Hey, perhaps you could post a sign at the feed store (poster board maybe) along with some chickie photos and prices. Perhaps it would be wise to list out a .75 price increase per week to cover the cost of feeding them all and also encourage people to buy them sooner rather than later. Just a thought :)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
PamsPride said:
:hugs I would be frustrated too! Maybe the feedstore has been stuck with chicks before too and that is why they let you take the burden on this year! It is very frustrating when people say they are going to do something and then don't! Everyday that goes by you are feeding them and losing more and more $$! :( I would not go less than $2 each because if you ever do this again people will expect them to be that cheap again.
Have you posted on Craigslist that you have peeps and that you will be at the feedstore at a certain time or that they can contact you personally if they want some? Have you called the 4H leader and asked them to send out a mass email to all of their 4H families saying that you have them with your contact info? I get a 4H email about once a week about different people selling or looking for certain animals/things. What about putting a sign out to the end of your driveway by your mailbox saying "PEEPS FOR SALE"?
ROTFL All good ideas, Pam!

I put a post on BYC.

I have had a sign up at the feedstore for two weeks now annoucing when the chicks would be in.

There is a poster up at the local school on the bulletin board.

The local 4H director knows, because she announced it to the 4H kids at the last meeting. That's how the lady who came to get the silkies from me found out about us.

This feedstore has never had chicks before, but the people who come in have asked them to have chicks. Feedstore owner didn't want the responsibility, so since I am such a chicken freak, they asked me. (Next year I am going to take orders and ONLY order in what people request!)

I am sure I can run some to Auction on Monday.

I do have them on CL and have had 2 people email me so far.

It's all good. I'm sure God has a reason/plan to this, I just don't see what it is yet. I'm sure I will soon!

Thanks for the suggestions and helping me cheer up ya'll.

DH is secretly hoping I'll let him keep the RIR's.........

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Maybe your DH is praying that you get to keep them and it is sabotaging all of your efforts?? Maybe he is praying harder than you!! Go :smack him and tell him to stop that!!! LOL!! :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
You know, Pam, I'm going to ask him!

Ok I asked him, he laughed but said no he's not praying that. He said hopefully I sell some of them. He only wants to keep about a dozen of the RIR's.

I've recieved several emails about them since I put them on Craigslist today.

And really, I do care about getting chicks again :gig I have an order coming that's for adding to my personal flock, and I definitely want those!!