I Finally Made Something!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
~gd, making lye soap for home use....I'm not talking huge quantities for income purposes, just for the family and a few friends, maybe.....is not that complicated. It just looks that way on paper. Working with lye is not diffcult or scary for anyone who uses bleach. The precautions are the same, although lye is more caustic, you will rinse it off just as quickly as you would rinse bleach off. You would work with it in a kitchen that is free of children and rambunctious pets and any major distractions. Eye protection is something most of us already have with our saws and grinding wheels, and rubber gloves are cheaply purchased at the grocery or discount store.

I had to order the lye through my local Ace hardware store. I bought a case of Rooto drain opener and talked the guy down to a good price. It is wrapped in plastic garbage bags and stored in my garage with empty canning jars and such.

I render suet and scrap fat in the winter (wood stove is going full time anyways) and freeze it in bricks for soapmaking and for making suet/birdseed cakes for my winter birdfeeding. I can buy the suet for $0.89/lb and can often get trim fat for free. I also save any chicken fat that is from commercial meat birds that is too white and flavorless for my cooking, and I add that in small amounts to a batch. So it is inexpensive. I make it unscented and natural in color. Everyone loves it. Oh, and goat's milk is the liquid, now that I have it in abundance.

I got my equipment for very little outlay of money.....the cheapest stainless steel pot and a couple of Rubbermaid pitchers and a silicone spoon, along with an inexpensive scale for measuring the ingredients. It is all stored in a plastic tote in my basement when not in use.

Making soap is sinfully simple and easy. If you can measure and stir and follow a recipe, you can make soap.

As for grating, I have a couple of food processors and I slice the bars into about a 1/8" slices (that crumble) and run them through the food processor. If you are making a dry powder, adding the washing soda or the borax to the processor at the same time helps make a smaller particle since it keeps it dryer. The dryer and harder the bar, the finer the grind using this method.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
~gd, making lye soap for home use....I'm not talking huge quantities for income purposes, just for the family and a few friends, maybe.....is not that complicated. It just looks that way on paper. Working with lye is not diffcult or scary for anyone who uses bleach. The precautions are the same, although lye is more caustic, you will rinse it off just as quickly as you would rinse bleach off. You would work with it in a kitchen that is free of children and rambunctious pets and any major distractions. Eye protectiongoggles? you really need splash proof goggles.) is something most of us already have with our saws and grinding wheels, and rubber gloves are cheaply purchased at the grocery or discount store.

I had to order the lye through my local Ace hardware store. I bought a case of Rooto drain opener and talked the guy down to a good price. It is wrapped in plastic garbage bags and stored in my garage with empty canning jars and such.For anyone buying this product check the label! Rooto sells other products under names like Drain opener or drain cleaner which are NOT 100% lye. freemotion thanks for the lead I have been looking for the Red Devil brand which appears to have been withdrawn. Did you notice the part where I said I was a chemist? I made Chlorine bleach from Sodium hydroxide (lye) on an industrial scale (2000) gallon tanks. and lye or lye solution does not rinse off like chlorine bleach (I have the scars to prove it) by the time you feel the burn your skin is turning to soap and sometimes rinses off with it. caustic burns are slow to heal and often leave scars. I would have a open container of vinegar handy before I opened the lye container

I render suet and scrap fat in the winter (wood stove is going full time anyways) and freeze it in bricks for soapmaking and for making suet/birdseed cakes for my winter birdfeeding. I can buy the suet for $0.89/lb and can often get trim fat for free. I also save any chicken fat that is from commercial meat birds that is too white and flavorless for my cooking, and I add that in small amounts to a batch. So it is inexpensive.I did mention where the fat and oils in this community go to. The college gives a tax deduction, pay for what used to be waste what a concept! I make it unscented and natural in color. Everyone loves it. Oh, and goat's milk is the liquid, now that I have it in abundance.

I got my equipment for very little outlay of money.....the cheapest stainless steel pot$10 on sale in Big Lots Sunday and Monday only and a couple of Rubbermaid pitchers and a silicone spoon, along with an inexpensive scale for measuring the ingredients. It is all stored in a plastic tote in my basement when not in use.

Making soap is sinfully simple and easy. If you can measure and stir and follow a recipe, you can make soap.I never said it wasn't easy mostly I bitched about geting the ingredients, thanks for the lead on the lye~gd

As for grating, I have a couple of food processors and I slice the bars into about a 1/8" slices (that crumble) and run them through the food processor. If you are making a dry powder, adding the washing soda or the borax to the processor at the same time helps make a smaller particle since it keeps it dryer. The dryer and harder the bar, the finer the grind using this method.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
~gd said:
I am a Chemist by education and I hesitate to tackle that task at home. First I would have to buy or otherwise acquire all the equipment required, including the personal protection safety equipment. Then there are the ingredients, lye itself is hard to come by, nobody wants to sell smaller amounts for fear of being sued, many of the lab supply houses that I used in my profession flatly refuse to sell unless your order is on "official" paper that they can check with Dunn & Bradstreet. Heck when I bought certain ingredients at a local hardware store the Sherriff was notified and they came to check if I was running a meth lab. I was lucky the Sherriff knew me and they knocked on my door to serve the search warrent rather than their usual procedure.
Then there are the fats or oils, they used to be easy to get cheap, Now everybody donates them to the local community college where they try to convert to Biodesel (sp?) Heck they even have ex-moonshiners over there making Ethanol for addition to gasoline! Hard to be self sufficient in the modern world even here in the semi-rural South!
Wow that must have been some experience being checked for operating a meth lab! If they are that suspicious of you in your town I would certainly NEVER try to make my own lye soap if I were you!

I agree with Free. Start up on my own soaping experience was around $35.00 and I bought good goggles. I get most of my fat for free. It either comes from animals that I buy and have processed for meat or beef suet that is given away free for the asking from our local butcher shop that I render myself. Sure people make bio diesel around here too, but there is still plenty of fat around, after all I only need a few pounds of fat for a batch of soap. I can always find olive oil or other oils at the local grocery store or wholesale club as well.

It is very difficult to purchase lye or other chemicals from commercial suppliers without being commercially licensed. That is why I usually buy my lye (which is certified pure) from one of the dozens of soap making suppliers out there. I did have to file a form that states I am not going to use the lye for evil only good before the company would ship my lye the first time.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am glad that you find soapmaking to be usefull. Please don't let my opinion change your mind, I was just pointing out why it is not right for me.
Actually I think the Sherriff does trust me somewhat otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the knock on the door warrent while he checked me out He let me take him to where the chemicals were stored and what I intended to use them for. The usual practice is the middle of the night, early in the morning no knock procedure where you wake up with bright flashlights and about 4 guns pointing at you as you try to get up to see what that loud noise was (knocking your door down) Heck we have one guy that is suing to get his screen door replaced, Door was open and instead of ckecking the ram man just broke the screen door (It was unlatched(
Certain combonations (sp) or unusual amounts will get your name taken and reported by our law abiding citizens. Heck I got busted for buying ammonium nitrate I was spreading it on some very poor clay when the ATF rolled up (bomb making). Don't get me wrong my area has a very real meth problem but I think it is coming from out of town probably traded for the pot being grown on or near the local military base. The army doesn't take kindly to law enforcement helicoppers, or anybody flying over or close to their base.
There was a big stink when our Sherriff got elected from the school police and took his drug sniffing dog with him as personal property. great times we live in. ~gd

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Maybe that is the difference from your town and ours. Your authorities are really on top of the meth lab thing. Meanwhile OUR town was the number one meth producing city in the country for SEVERAL years running. Yea that's right number one.... go us. :/

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I'm not discouraged. :) I do appreciate having different points of view before I go into anything. I have done some research and reading and I would really like to get into soap making. I started with making candles when I was a little kid (you know the cheap wal-mart kits?) and that progress to making my own wicks with canvas and using old candles to make new ones. Then I started loom knitting. Then I started cooking from scratch when I moved out. Now I've got chickens and I'm still trying to get this garden thing down. Ya'll are right when you say it is an addiction and one thing leads to another! It is such a wonderful feeling to make something. To have something tangible to show for your work. I think that's way my secrtary job isn't working out as well as I expected. I don't have anything to show for my work other than an empty desk. Next year after I graduate with my AA and AAS, I'm going into welding and carpentry.

Back to soap- I have already gotten a scale and I am working on getting my pots. I want to make sure I have all the materials before I even think about buying lye.

Latest posts