I find this disturbing

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/japansciencemammoth
Japanese researchers will launch a project this year by Shingo Ito Shingo Ito Mon Jan 17, 5:44 am ET
TOKYO (AFP) Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in around five years time.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

"Preparations to realise this goal have been made," Akira Iritani, leader of the team and a professor emeritus of Kyoto University, told the mass-circulation daily.

Under the plan, the nuclei of mammoth cells will be inserted into an elephant's egg cell from which the nuclei have been removed, to create an embryo containing mammoth genes, the report said.

The embryo will then be inserted into an elephant's uterus in the hope that the animal will eventually give birth to a baby mammoth.

The elephant is the closest modern relative of the mammoth, a huge woolly mammal believed to have died out with the last Ice Age.

Some mammoth remains still retain usable tissue samples, making it possible to recover cells for cloning, unlike dinosaurs, which disappeared around 65 million years ago and whose remains exist only as fossils

Researchers hope to achieve their aim within five to six years, the Yomiuri said.

The team, which has invited a Russian mammoth researcher and two US elephant experts to join the project, has established a technique to extract DNA from frozen cells, previously an obstacle to cloning attempts because of the damage cells sustained in the freezing process.

Another Japanese researcher, Teruhiko Wakayama of the Riken Centre for Developmental Biology, succeeded in 2008 in cloning a mouse from the cells of another that had been kept in temperatures similar to frozen ground for 16 years.

The scientists extracted a cell nucleus from an organ of a dead mouse and planted it into the egg of another mouse which was alive, leading to the birth of the cloned mouse.

Based on Wakayama's techniques, Iritani's team devised a method to extract the nuclei of mammoth eggs without damaging them.

But a successful cloning will also pose challenges for the team, Iritani warned.

"If a cloned embryo can be created, we need to discuss, before transplanting it into the womb, how to breed (the mammoth) and whether to display it to the public," Iritani said.

"After the mammoth is born, we will examine its ecology and genes to study why the species became extinct and other factors."

More than 80 percent of all mammoth finds have been dug up in the permafrost of the vast Sakha Republic in eastern Siberia.

Exactly why a majority of the huge creatures that once strode in large herds across Eurasia and North America died out towards the end of the last Ice Age has generated fiery debate.

Some experts hold that mammoths were hunted to extinction by the species that was to become the planet's dominant predator -- humans.

Others argue that climate change was more to blame, leaving a species adapted for frozen climes ill-equipped to cope with a warming world.

Anyone else think of Jurassic park? IMHO there are some things that shouldn't be done.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I suspect that it will pose more challenges than they think it will, and that achieving the goal will be far more difficult than they think.

What worries me is this...

When you mess with Mother Nature, and put species back where they've become extinct, things get seriously unbalanced. Especially when you aren't sure where they were to begin with, or when the species you introduce isn't quite the same as the one that was extinct.

Using DNA extracted from "damaged frozen cells" is likely to result in damaged DNA (this may occur just from handling fertilized egg cells, let alone from starting with potentially compromised materials - suggested by significantly higher rates of cardio and uro-genital malformations in babies conceived through IVF).

This means that while the resulting egg may be viable, the offspring may not in fact be a clone of the original. It may look like it, but not be. Differences may be behavioral, or it may lack hardiness, or disease resistance, or the ability to thrive on available food sources. That kind of subtle nerve or tissue change is very common in cells that are damaged enough to create problems, but not enough to prevent replication.

So they create a cloned Mammoth. What are they going to do with it? Keep it in captivity and study it? Breed it? Revive a species? To what? Where can it fit that will be fair to it, or to existing species?

I think they may be going where they should not, without realizing that the choices they make may have an impact far beyond what they intend.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know, I think it's kind of cool and not so different from the cloning we're doing with cows right now. We've lost so many species of animal to man's indifference maybe it's time to try to rectify some of that. Just the science geek in me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I am FOR and AGAINST

lol

on the fence truly

not good I think, but what could it achieve?

hmmm..............

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmm .... Speaking of science fiction here .... Suppose the unknown reason why they died out was some kind of unidentified mutating super-virus, which gets revived along with the mammoth ...

Ok, if anyone writes a book or makes a miniseries, I want royalties. ;)

Seriously though, I also suspect it will be harder than they think. And I am opposed to much of genetic manipulation that goes on in the name is science. Seems like playing with fire when you don't know all the rules of how it behaves.

Another science-fiction theme: that man's intellect will be his downfall, through science.

Please everyone note: this is NOT a serious post on my part. :) Except that I meant it when I said I personally don't approve of genetic manipulation. :)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I agree with lwheelr 100%.

Nothing good can come of this, other than proving that they could actually do it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Once I taste a medium rare mammoth steak & will let you know if I am for or against this.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think in the wrong hands this concept could be dangerous. Very much like Jurassic park.

But the scientific part of me wonders what they could learn from having this living specimen. I'm sure it would live in a zoo-like setting and be fed and sheltered for its lifetime if they manage to create one. I don't think we need to recreate an extinct species, but I would personally go to see a cloned live Mammoth should one be on display. It would be interesting, not threatening.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I think we're likely a loooong way from having it really truly WORK so this discussion is probably a moot point to a large degree :p

But, I don't have a problem with it. THe result will not be a mammoth, it will be a mostly-mammoth-somewhat-elephant-influenced synthetic thing, but as that is the only way to get the mammoth genome expressed, why not? (Yes yes, I know why not, "because it is unnatural" etc etc etc. Don't get me started on that...)

I can see a lot of good stuff coming from it, knowledge-wise. Will it likely result in a better way to store onions or an improved variety of cotton or more energy-efficient cars? No. Personally, I think just trying to learn more about the world is worthwhile in its own way, though, and often has indirect useful spinoffs that cannot possibly be predicted.

If one is worried about the incredibly-remote risk of ancient viruses being revived and so forth, it is more likely ARCHAEOLOGISTS you should be worrying about... LOL

Pat

Latest posts