I find this disturbing

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Once I taste a medium rare mammoth steak & will let you know if I am for or against this.
dude. i'm so with you - it would be like Fred Flintson's drive in food.

Buster - the only thing cooler than war elephants would be war mammoths.

sign me up when they become available. i'm gonna get one and name it Big Chuck.

;-)

but i dont want them fooling around with making chickens with teeth - no way no how.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have read somewhere that a while ago, maybe around the turn of the century? (edited to clarify - the previous century, I mean, like ca. 1900), they actually served mammoth (or mastodon? I forget) steaks at some scientific-society banquet. From one of the frozen ones from the tundra. Supposedly it was edible and nobody died of it.

Personally I'm pretty relaxed about eating meat that's been in the freezer for like 10 years, but 10,000 years is pushing it a bit :p

OTOH if you COULD reconstruct and domesticate mammoths, just think of how much milk they must give. You could make a year's worth of cheese from ONE milking. Although I don't think I'm volunteering to do the milking myself...!

Pat

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
OTOH if you COULD reconstruct and domesticate mammoths, just think of how much milk they must give. You could make a year's worth of cheese from ONE milking. Although I don't think I'm volunteering to do the milking myself...!

Pat
:lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't want a mammoth/hybrid on the farm.

I have enough trouble with goats. I KNOW FOR A FACT me and that mammoth would HAVE AT IT! I think I would lose! :(

AND isn't there a huge study about beef farts, polluting the ozone---could ya imagine a million mammoth tooting up the air! :p :lol:

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think it is interesting. I recall a guy on 60 minutes who will be creating a dino chicken in a few years.Essentially just turnung on the gene for the tail.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
Buster - the only thing cooler than war elephants would be war mammoths.

sign me up when they become available. i'm gonna get one and name it Big Chuck.
Yeah, imagine if Hannibal had some of THOSE! He gave the Romans a hard enough time with puny little elephants.

I'd want to name mine something with a bit more gravitas though. Something tough that would strike fear into the hearts of the enemy.

Something like "OhioFarmGirl" or something.

:D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
see, Buster that is EXACTLY what i'm talkin about! he'd have marched over those Alps like they werent even there!

*dreams wistfully about being one of Hannibal's war elephant riders...except being on a mammoth not a wimpy elephant*

btw, i'm out of my roman legion series of books and am now on to the barbarians. i'm in the middle of Iggulden's series about Genghis. so you can be sure the next time varmints invade, i'll be storming down the hill, mounted on our big goat Vita, and knocking off foxes with my bow and arrows.

;-)

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
Yeah, but those Mammoth splats... Dungheaps the size of a compost pile... Woops, there goes the doghouse...
Yeah, not so sure walking behind a mammoth with a plow is a very wise move.... :ep

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
chipmunk said:
lwheelr said:
Yeah, but those Mammoth splats... Dungheaps the size of a compost pile... Woops, there goes the doghouse...
Yeah, not so sure walking behind a mammoth with a plow is a very wise move.... :ep
But think of the fertilization! :D