I found Ball canning lids on sale at Lowes.

Veggie PAK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was walking down the shelving aisle at Lowes a couple days ago looking for shelving that would support filled canning jars. To my surprise, they had in the same aisle, sitting on a shelf there, a half a case of canning lids on sale for $0.38 for a box of 12 lids. They also had two boxes of rings and lids that were on sale for $0.61 for each box. Needless to say, I bought it all! Thirty boxes of canning lids and two boxes of lids and rings for $13 and change. I'm set for awhile! I plan to store these in a large jar with a couple of O2 absorbers in it to prevent rust. Even though they are in boxes, moisture will get in there and cause them to try to rust.

Check your Lowes for drastic sales on canning supplies. I went to another one a few miles away, but they had sold all theirs already.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was just thinking I need to go to Lowes today! They sure have some great prices on closeouts. My brother-in-law used to date a gal who worked at Lowes. I'm pretty sure it was mainly 'cause she could get him cheap prices on tools & stuff!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I can't look-unless someone else takes me. :(

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Buying lids is a major cost of canning---more than the cost of the energy, actually.

I'm going to make a trip to Lowes tonight!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hubby's going to be near Lowe's so he's going to look.

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just wanted to throw this out there.... we started using Tattler resuable lids. They work like a charm :)

BasicallyHeather

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I was just about to post about the Tattler lids...I just tried them for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I love them! I don't plan to ever purchase the metal lids again, ever. Although you need the metal band to process Tattler lids properly, you take them off once they have sealed and cooled. Tattler sells metal bands by themselves on their website, which is nice; I don't have to buy the lids in order to get the rings. And shipping was free! Woot!

It cost me about $50 to get 36 each of the regular and widemouth lids and rubber rings (so, 72 lids and rings). Google for coupon codes and save a bit more (I think I saved three bucks with one).

Anyway, they are a great investment if you plan on canning until you're in the grave, like I do ;)