I have a meat slicer! ... Now what?

usedteabag

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi there everyone!

Well, I tend to be very picky about kitchen gadgets, especially when I work hard for my money (cue the music) as we all do! But...this time, I didn't pay! As many credit cards do, mine allows me to accumulate points as I use it. Not unlike the Chuck-E-Cheese I went to as a kid, earning points hardly ever gets you anything good, but this time I lucked out. I earned myself a deli-style meat slicer; a mini version of what you'd find in grocery stores. I didn't even pay shipping, and it will arrive at my house in the next two weeks. Turns out credit cards are good for something...

Anyway, this might not be a worthwhile investment for everyone but my partner and I both ADORE sandwiches. A little too much. But cold cuts are outrageously expensive. Besides, we are trying to avoid buying factory meat. Even with buying local, small farm, free range meats, I predict making our own cold cuts will be thoroughly cheaper in the long run.

SO. My question to all you lovely people is, how do you suggest I go about doing this? Do I just get a big roast, bake it, and slice away? Do I let the meat cool first before slicing? If you have any experience or even any recipes, I would be so grateful! It's a brave new world of cooking I've gotten myself into, and I cannot wait! :weee

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congratulations! I wish my credit card company would give me something free! Yes, I think the meat will cut much better cold. Oh, and you need to get a wonderful sugar cured ham to slice up, too. And I'll be over for supper!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree with so lucky, let it get cold first. When I worked in a deli, the really chilled meats could be sliced paper thin (shaved) without a problem, if that's what you're looking for.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd get a roast, and cook it then let it chill as stated above, and have at it for some fine roast beef :drool Don't forget tueky breast, and oven roasted chicken, and ham, cajun ham, oh and salamis, pepperonis, and the cheeses are generally cheaper if you buy them in a large block and do the deli slices yourself! Now I'm hungry :lol:

usedteabag

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I'll set up places at the table for you. ;) Sugar cured ham sounds lovely!
SSDreamin, I'm thinking about bones. Since you say you worked in a deli, just wondering about the huge chunks of meat they use to slice. How are they boneless? I am a total beginner at this as you can see. Anything you can recommend about the logistics of slicing?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
usedteabag said:
Anything you can recommend about the logistics of slicing?
Watch your fingers!!! Seriously, my grandma had one of the commercial ones in her store where she sold deli sandwiches made to order. Those things can be dangerous! Never allow yourself to get distracted while using it.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
usedteabag said:
Anything you can recommend about the logistics of slicing?
Watch your fingers!!! Seriously, my grandma had one of the commercial ones in her store where she sold deli sandwiches made to order. Those things can be dangerous! Never allow yourself to get distracted while using it.
WBF beat me to it! I'm missing the tip of a finger because I paid attention to a customer instead of the slicer! Also, annoying or not, guards are there for safety, always use them!

All our product was boneless. I know our meat dept. had a mean looking slicer that cut through bone like butter, but I'm not sure a 'normal' slicer would do well. :hu

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
De-bone your roasts and roll/tie them before cooking, then you are all set for slicing!

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got one for Christmas and we use it mainly for slicing homemade bread. Cold boneless cuts of meat do slice pretty well. I sliced what was left of a ham and turkey breast after Christmas.

Stupid auto-finish thingie. Thinks it knows what I meant to type!

usedteabag

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Slices of bread are a great idea, I do ALOT of homemade baking.

I did use a big commercial one in a kitchen I worked in, but mostly just for slicing cheese. Definitely everyone is right, I will keep my fingers well clear!