i have quail....now what?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
For treats, you an give them pieces of apple or pear, a cob of corn, they like bugs, etc etc. Kinda like chickens, but they need more protein. I'll cut an apple in half and the will peck at it , takes a few days for them to get through it.

You have an incubator ,right? they won't sit on their eggs. I love quail, my family loves quail. I love raising them and eating them. Good luck!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have raised bobwhite in the past and hope to do so again someday. They are really fun little birds ... and mine were quite tasty as well. I gave mine millet as a treat they really seemed to like that.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You have an incubator ,right? they won't sit on their eggs
I do have one I made myself. Hatched a few ducks in it. I didn't even think about the fact that they wont brood until I had agreed to buy them...LOL Oh well, no biggie. I probably wont hatch any until closer to spring. These guys were hatched earlier this year so I have time.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I went shopping and when I came home I had 3 of the most gorgeous little eggs you ever saw waiting for me :D

I also had sand and feed scattered everywhere...LOL

And then my little boy crowed for me :D

Now...someone explain to me how such a tiny bird makes such big poops???

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
quail eggs are good eats right?
aren't they super expensive to buy?

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Yes and yes. I told hubby what they sell for at the Asian markets (About $3-$5/dozen). He said we can't sell ours. I think HE thinks they are too cute to sell but wont admit it.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Eggs already! Cool!!

So how was the first night? Are you going to let them have some outside time today?
Are they friendly at all?

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Very friendly. I think the previous owner spent a lot of time with them. When I go home for lunch I am going to take them outside. I need to make them a "playpen" of sorts.

I posted on BYC to see if anyone had a "quail tractor", but I am not getting a lot of replies there.

I don't know what the deal is. Seems like everyone is just keeping them in cages.

While my cage is nice, the wire seems to have done some damage to their feet. I think these guys need some time on some good old grass.

That article I linked to in my first post on this thread is more along the lines of what I eventually want to do... simulate their natural environment as much as possible. A lot of people on BYC are just raising them in cages.

I have a feeling I am going to be a major pain on the quail forum...kind of like I was when it comes to ducks and my angel wing theory. I know they think I am nuts! LOL