I just need to vent

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Heres the thing....my family consist of 6 people - 4 girls 13, 9, 7 and 4, myself and DH. We went shopping the other day and i purchased a gift for my girls that was 20.00. cousin asked who was getting it, i replied with i'm not sure, it may be something they will have to share. Cousin seemed bothered by that. Anyway, the day went on with us shopping. my bill for all day was 150.00 and i'm sure her bill was well over 700. which is fine, that's not the problem. problem is cousin decided to inform me that if i needed any help with christmas to let her know because her family "always helps a needy family each year" I was speachless! There is nothing my family needs, all of our bills are paid and what makes you think that just because I don't spend as much as you for Christmas gifts doesn't mean we are needy!!!!! We paid for our gifts out of our savings, not on credit! We are simple people with little debt and Christmas isn't going to add to that debt again!!!! We've really came a long way from our past as we've been together for just over a year....walking into a relationship with 10,000 combined debt and now looking at 4,000! I think we are doing pretty darn good!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
:gig

OMG

The NERVE!!!

Anyway, tell her thanks and give her a name off of a church giving tree or something! :D

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Just smile and let them know you're not needy - you just don't choose to buy a bunch of junk.
:D

I would have said, well we do need a bigger dehydrator if you're buying... :gig

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You should tell her that her definition of needy must be a lot different from yours...and just smile and leave it at that. She probably meant well

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
*waves hand*

I'm needy! Do they wanna give me money?

:D

hobbyfarmrookie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm with you, we go fairly simple on Christmas and pay for it. Christmas is not a nightmare for us in Jan, Feb, March and so on because there are no credit card bills rolling in.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yup, that would be annoying - hard not to feel kind of humiliated even though you are the one in the right!

Maybe find some websites/phone numbers of charities that you can print out, and next time you see her, hand her the list and say "I gather you're having a hard time finding a needy family to help out, I found you the name of some places that would be happy for your contributions" ;)

Or of course you could be "big" and just let it go, maybe even chalk it up to her meaning well but just being a bit socially inept... but then where's the fun in that LOL

Pat