I know what I'm getting for Christmas :(

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say it was time for a new one.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I feel your pain. We have a 25yo wall oven with custom cabinetry built around it and it went out sometime around July. I can't even find anything on the market that fits the opening much less the cash to buy it with. I think I know what the problem is and if I can ever even afford a repairman that's what I'm going to have to do. For now we've been making due with a nice toaster oven and the microwave but last week the micro went out too! ARGH. We're keeping our fingers crossed for Christmas and at least holding out until that expense is over before we do anything.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey, if there is any way at all to NOT replace the wall oven, then go with a free standing range. I licked my feverish lips and tried not to drool at the free standing ranges for a couple of hundred dollars LESS than this stupid little itty-bitty 24" wall oven I had to order. I should have chainsawed a hole in my cabinetry a few months ago when the range TOP went out and I replaced it. I would have been so much ahead now. The $973 I spent on the wall oven would have paid for a nice wall oven hole/pantry remodel! :he Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 vision and in my case I guess I was going blind. :lol:

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeah, I've kicked that idea around but we are so limited on space already I can't afford to lose any more. Also the only 220 in the kitchen is behind and below the wall unit...We still may go that route and move the wiring if we can't get the parts for this one. I've been trying to get the wife to let me tear it all out and put in a wood stove/oven since we already heat with wood anyways and the chimney we use is right there already but she won't get on board with it:/

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't say as I blame her on that one. Maybe have a wood burning stove as a "fun" or backup if the power went off. But I like that instant on and off without having to build a fire. :lol: If you plan on staying in that home forever, you might want to look into a free standing stove, they are so much cheaper and easier to replace. I have enough in my range top and wall oven now that i could have got a slide-in and remodeled the wall oven cabinet into another pantry. :th

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
baymule said:
I can't say as I blame her on that one. Maybe have a wood burning stove as a "fun" or backup if the power went off. But I like that instant on and off without having to build a fire. :lol: If you plan on staying in that home forever, you might want to look into a free standing stove, they are so much cheaper and easier to replace. I have enough in my range top and wall oven now that i could have got a slide-in and remodeled the wall oven cabinet into another pantry. :th
We may not live here forever but we will certainly own the house forever, it was part of the deal when we inherited it. I'm not going back on that deal, the place is paid for! I am doing a full and very extensive remodel and second story addition sometime in the future but can't even think of starting that until the government and economy get themselves squared away. Won't even chance a loan.