I know what I'm getting for Christmas :(

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cooked supper this evening, hambone and pinto beans, mustard greens, grapefruit salad, hot water cornbread and blackberry cobbler. Well, almost blackberry cobbler. I put it in the oven, sat down a few minutes and got up to check on it and it was stone cold. My oven died. :he It is that awful avacado green :sick from 50 years ago and it has lived out it's useful life......but at Christmas? And it is a wall oven (I don't like it, but without a complete kitchen make over $$$$$$$ a wall oven is what I will get). I checked prices and I don't like what I see. Sigh.......

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd surf Craigslist or ask around first. Thats just the frugal squirriel in me speaking. NEVER PAY RETAIL! :) Merry CHRISTmas

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Never pay retail! At the very least, ask if they'd let you take the floor model at a discount. You may save enough money to still get something fun.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
maybe...its something that can be fixed...not that i wouldn't wish you a wonderful christmas with a new to you slove...
but..maybe an element or fuse...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just what you don't need at Christmas time. :( Hope you can find something you like at a reasonable price.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Price is one thing, the right size to fit the opening is another!!

You sure it's not the element? Those are pretty reasonable. If you can't find it locally, look online.
My mother still has her turquoise - middle 1950's - built in oven. LOL

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Definitely check the element, the fuses etc.--often it's something really simple, especially in a more "built to last" 1970s model. :)

Marianne said:
...My mother still has her turquoise - middle 1950's - built in oven. LOL
:drool

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went to Lowes yesterday and ordered a wall oven. :( I called around in other towns to see if any other stores had a floor model to fit, but struck out. I didn't want to call a repairman to fix the old oven as I have done that several times over the last 25 years. It is AVACADO GREEN and it is UGLY! I replaced the avacado green sink and range top at different times years ago and they are now stainless. The new oven will be stainless as well. I got a plain, but indulged in self cleaning, oven. Naturally, in our small town, none are in stock, it will show up in 2 weeks. :barnie Yay. Two weeks.........visions of the pies, bread and other baked goods dance in my head......now that I can't bake anything! :lol:

Oh well, at least I will have a new oven. The old one has been burning the bottom of whatever I was baking for some time now, while the middle was still liquid. Cookies had that charred bottom and chewy top. :lol: Breads had blackened bottoms (cut that off and eat the rest) or slightly burned crunchy tops. It was time for the oven to die. I deserve a new one. Now if it will just get here!