I love living in the country

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just went to dollar general, a mom and her daughter was standing in line behind me. Daughter was complaining about having to carry 20 bags of ice to the barn. Mom said to the daughter, I'm trying to make it easier on you, it's either 10 big bags or 20 little bags. Daughter said why can't Johnny carry the bags? why do I have too? Mom said Johnny was still tossing hay bales at 3:00AM, he's now helping your dad butcher the cow, he's 7 and your 9, end of conversation!

I turned around and looked at the little girl and said Your momma just schooled you, what lesson did you learn? She looked at me and said I don't want to carry ice. I laughed and said well you know big bags are cheaper than small bags, but small bags are easier to carry than big bags. She didn't say a word back and just looked at her shoes.

Then as I was grabbing my bags off the turntable, I heard mom say to the cashier. 10 big bags of ice please. :lol:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While this little girl may not remember this particular day, she WILL remember that her family life included caring and providing for one's self. I'll bet she complains when told to help work the garden, too. :D But in her grown up self, one day, she will remember! Good lessons all!

I still remember being allowed to hold the rabbits grandad had hunted, by the hind legs, while he gutted and cleaned them. ( I got the fluffy tail) The sliced apples drying in the sun, the vinegar mother in the jar, the shelves of beautiful canned goods for winter sustenance...the biscuits & bread coming out of the wood stove....all as vivid as yesterday!

Not only do I remember, I still do it. When looking at my small rows of potatoes coming up in the garden this week -- I was transported to a day when my grandad had me bundled up on the skid that the plow horse pulled in the snow to the "potato patch". Yeah, he dug some for the next couple weeks -- :love

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While this little girl may not remember this particular day, she WILL remember that her family life included caring and providing for one's self. I'll bet she complains when told to help work the garden, too. :D But in her grown up self, one day, she will remember! Good lessons all!

I still remember being allowed to hold the rabbits grandad had hunted, by the hind legs, while he gutted and cleaned them. ( I got the fluffy tail) The sliced apples drying in the sun, the vinegar mother in the jar, the shelves of beautiful canned goods for winter sustenance...the biscuits & bread coming out of the wood stove....all as vivid as yesterday!

Not only do I remember, I still do it. When looking at my small rows of potatoes coming up in the garden this week -- I was transported to a day when my grandad had me bundled up on the skid that the plow horse pulled in the snow to the "potato patch". Yeah, he dug some for the next couple weeks -- :love

The girl sure sounded like one to complain. I only caught the tale end of the conversation l. But what really caught my attention was when mom put her foot down. That made me think back to my childhood. And the lessons I learned, that I didn't even know I learned untill I got older.

It was hot and humid yesterday, it wasn't a good time to be butchering a cow. But you don't get to pick the weather.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
when you give in to a child's whining, and don't spank them or give them chores.

My mom didn't & did -- LOL -- butt smacks I remember. Made me a better person. No abuse, just a hard couple pops and certainly other punishments -- restrictions, chores, and all those things. You learn a work ethic, decency and respect.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And that is what is wrong with so many of the overindulged spoiled children and young adults nowadays. No responsibilities, no restrictions, no having to account for the bratty whining and temper tantrums, no consequences for choices made. And so many did it wanting their children to have it "easier than they had it growing up" ..... instead it turned that generation into a bunch of lazy, do as little as possible, and feel entitled for everything they want without doing anything constructive to achieve it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And that is what is wrong with so many of the overindulged spoiled children and young adults nowadays. No responsibilities, no restrictions, no having to account for the bratty whining and temper tantrums, no consequences for choices made. And so many did it wanting their children to have it "easier than they had it growing up" ..... instead it turned that generation into a bunch of lazy, do as little as possible, and feel entitled for everything they want without doing anything constructive to achieve it.
It's the Cancel Generation. If you don't like something, simply cancel it.

Don't like the police, defund them. Don't like a business, burn it down. Don't like your teacher, smear them - so they get fired. Don't like school, don't go. Don't want to pay for college, it must be free. Don't like ICE, do away with them.

And the list goes on and on........

We better wake up and fast! or there will be no country left.

Last edited:

Latest posts