I love my dump

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sat, I brought home an extra large dog crate. Bronze finish, a tiny bit of rust. One tiny section had been broken and repaired by weaving some light weight wire through it. Still plenty fine to use for a broody pen!

Keeping my eye on glass refrigerator shelving, but not picking any up yet. There's always plenty of that available! I plan to make some cold frames for my raised garden beds. But, that project needs to wait till I close down the garden for the season.

I also picked up a microwave glass twirly thing. I love having those things available on the kitchen counter. I keep my coffee pot on one. Makes it super easy to slide the pot around without the rubber feet leaving marks on the counter.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have a gold mine, not a dump! I wish we could go through the dump here, but it's a no-go.

Same here. It's discouraged.

That said -- since I know the head guy at this location, if I see anything I "must have", he looks away. LOL Sometimes we have an issue if a higher up has spied it.....just senseless to not recycle some of this fully reusable stuff. But, I can understand.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We don't have a dump, we take our trash to the "Transfer Station". It is only open 2 times a week and for 3 hours at a time. It is taken care of by the town council. They have an area set for metal or items that someone may want to recycle - you are free to pick if you want. Last week there were 2 bicycles there - they just needed new tires. Their philosophy is that it is better to have someone take it home than to pay the garbage company to take it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i wish there was a better way of doing things here than what happens as i'm sure a lot of useful things don't get reused.

we try to put useful things at the end of the driveway with a FREE sign on them and they usually don't stay out there very long before someone will nab them.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i wish there was a better way of doing things here than what happens as i'm sure a lot of useful things don't get reused.

we try to put useful things at the end of the driveway with a FREE sign on them and they usually don't stay out there very long before someone will nab them.
I did that once in front of our front porch. Even if it's all sort of broken stuff, there is a lot looking for something to tinker.. washing machines, an oven toaster, some hand me down clothes.. All of the items. Didn't last an hour.. :D:D:D

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow, you've done incredibly well! I haven't had the opportunity to collect treasures from others' dumps, which here is mainly skips, but I did see some good things, so I'm planning to drag home loads of stuff in future.

Here so far, the only items I scored from a dump, which was conveniently right next to my old house, was a glass cutting board, still in it's packaging, and a solid wood door, which I gave to my landlord, when he came over to collect my chicken pen. He was delighted with it :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our recycle center is on the other side of town from the dump. We need compost but it's the monsoon season here. With more rain/hail tonight.:barnie

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We've had a few dry days here and there. Front, lower lawn is still saturated. But, the rest of the yard is drying out nicely.

Our dump has the compostable area, and a building that is called "second time around" or some such thing. Obviously, folks can help themselves there, as well as dropping off stuff.

However, all other dump picking is "not allowed". But... the folks who work there usually manage to look the other way when town residents go shopping there. I understand the liability issue. But... seriously??? Some really nice stuff gets tossed out. If I can keep it out of the land fills... If I can use it instead of buying new, I'm gonna continue doing so as long as I can get away with it. Back in the day, they used to even load mulch and compost into town resident's trucks for free. Crazy fools have caused that service to be cancelled b/c of liability issues.