I need a few more ideas on what to do with Jalapenos.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is crazy good. Split a jalapeno in half leaving the stem on and deseed or not, I deseed. Fiil with peanut butter and seal back up and put as much melted chocolate as you can make stick to it. We had such a harvest of more than 20 lbs this year. I bought a recipe book just for them. Jalapeno jelly is awesome for Christmas gifts and to eat. I have dried a ton and put them in the coffee grinder to make a powder for quick touch of heat. I lonve the sweet crunchy pickle idea. I am making jalapeno hot sauce tomorrow and maybe serrano too. Another cool idea from the book is to powder the dried peppers and add the powder to chocolate to dip pretzels in.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
This is crazy good. Split a jalapeno in half leaving the stem on and deseed or not, I deseed. Fiil with peanut butter and seal back up and put as much melted chocolate as you can make stick to it. We had such a harvest of more than 20 lbs this year. I bought a recipe book just for them. Jalapeno jelly is awesome for Christmas gifts and to eat. I have dried a ton and put them in the coffee grinder to make a powder for quick touch of heat. I lonve the sweet crunchy pickle idea. I am making jalapeno hot sauce tomorrow and maybe serrano too. Another cool idea from the book is to powder the dried peppers and add the powder to chocolate to dip pretzels in.
I like hot and sweet but do not like peanut butter.. :( The smoked and dehydrated ones turned out wonderful. I only powder them when I am gonna use them but I can see the smoked powder going great with dark chocolate or a pinch or two in hot cocoa.. !!! I dill and garlic pickled some and then some went into hot gardenia mix and then some were pickled in halves for using to make poppers..
then my allergies flared up and I've been kinda sick the last couple days and haven't done too much..
but last on the list is green tomato/jalapeno/onion ketchup.. all the ingredients are in the kitchen to go in the pot tomorrow and then slow cook and run thru the food mill on my kitchenaid mixer and then add the spices and vinegar and sugar.
Oh I fermented about a gallon and a half with onions and garlic and I also made a pint of green "sambal" with garlic and vinegar and salt.. that is also fermenting along over in the corner.
I almost wish I had more for some of the other recipes I have collected here and on another site.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so glad I found this subject!! I have been wondering what to do with my peppers as well. Whta is this "fermented jalepeno's onion and garlic" recipie you are talking about? sounds wonderful. Any others, please post would love the info.;)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
opiemaster said:
I am so glad I found this subject!! I have been wondering what to do with my peppers as well. Whta is this "fermented jalepeno's onion and garlic" recipie you are talking about? sounds wonderful. Any others, please post would love the info.;)
I made a jar like the pickle pro off the internet with an airlock and I put in the peppers and onion and garlic and then pour brine over it all and let it ferment like you would a good deli dill pickle.
this is the brine recipe I use
2 quarts cold water
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup pickling salt, not iodized
2 tablespoons sugar
I do use raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar not white.
and just let it sit and ferment in the home made pickle pro.
to make the pickle pro I just drilled a hole in a mason jar lid and popped a rubber gasket in and stuck an air lock in it. keeps the bad stuff out while letting the gasses out too.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Strawberry jalapeno jam is really good. My BIL would heat it up on his grill while he was cooking meat so it'd get some smoky flavor. Oh wow, wonderful to put on any kind of meat. Sorry, don't have the recipe but I'm sure you could get it online.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you grill...

I make a slight variation on poppers... Using any meat you have (I use dove or Duck).. Halve A pepper fill with creme cheese, lay dove breast on top wrap with bacon and pin with a tootpick. Make sure you soak the toothpicks before grilling.

Also I use jalapenos in my crock pot pulled pork... You can make a batch and freeze most of it and have a decent meal to boot.

Country Momma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We can the bread and butter japs, good on grilled cheese sandwhiches. The poppers are my fav though. Either half them or cut off the top. More seeds left in = more heat. Fill with herbed cream cheese and top with a piece of bacon. Bake at 250 for about 45 mins. Grab and beer and dig in. Soooo good.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I picked up more from the family friend and smoked another few pounds of the red jalapenos and I may just cut and dry all the rest of the hot peppers too..
He gave me soem that look like mini bell peppers and they have a very mild heat (like poblanos) and no idea what to do with them all..
maybe they would do well bread and butter too..
OH I found my other boxes of jars.. here I thought I was running out and finally got the broom and braved the spider cave(aka basement) and found them in the corner..

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just made the Red Hot Sauce from the Ball Blue Book with the jalapenos that turned red and it is delicious. I think I will do another batch for Christmas gifts the color is fantastic and it was easy.