I need a housewarming gift for a newbie

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We sold our house down south :woot Sign papers on Saturday. Nice people, always lived in the city and want out. Well, I guess that house IS out, but a little to convenient for me, if ya know what I mean ;) Anyways, as a housewarming gift, hubby wants to buy them a small coop and give them our three little Wyandotte gals (can you tell he doesn't like them?!). I was leaning more towards a fresh baked loaf of bread and some homemade jam. I know SHE wants chickens quite badly, but doesn't have a clue how to raise them. Hate to send my little girls off to certain death :p Hubby thinks my idea sounds corny. Do any of you have any good ideas for a gift? Keeping in mind that these people are green as grass about everything, but...well, at least she...seem to want to learn more about how we did things there, and begged us to leave our coop, all our chickens and even my little Ice Cream :ep . Ok, so maybe she's just crazy :lol:

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We gave our friends a nice handmade stoneware pottery bowl by a local artist. A nice size bowl you would use at dinner time for veggies or a small mashpotatoe. Just an idea. Throw in a bottle of wine too with it. Hope this helps. Don

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like the bread and jam idea. I usually do a gift basket with homemade soups or goodies, it is always appreciated.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I'm with hubby on this one. It's not that difficult to keep chickens, unless these folks are really inept! :idunno Include Raising Chickens for Dummies, BYC's web address and some feed to start them off. Please, DO NOT leave Ice Cream!!! :lol:

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think the bread and jam is a perfect gift.

Chickens? not so much. It's more like a chore than a gift. Plus, BUY them a coop? Can your dh be my friend too?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When my sister and her hubby got their house, since it had a fireplace, we gave them some firewood as a house warming gift. :D

But for a stranger? I'm thinking the bread as well as some homemade jam would be great, as well as instructions on how to make it.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not the chickens...not till they learn something. How about the Storey's Guide to Chickens, and maybe a list of the local resources such as farmer's markets, re-sale shops, vets, farm stores, who has eggs to sell, etc. Some things you just don't get out of a phone book....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I like the bread and jam idea too, but I think Cheerio had a good idea as well. Chickens are really easy keepers :hu

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How about something they can plant? like fruit or nut trees or herbs,flowers, etc?
Nancy

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Why not give them a gift basket with a loaf of bread, jam and a copy of a favorite cookbook or Storey's Guide to raising chickens? Just tell her that when she is ready to go with the chickens and has a coop built then you will get her a couple chickens then.