I need natural toothpaste help!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do the salt and baking soda too. I can't stand the taste of regular toothpaste now.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm a Toms of Maine fan. I find the peppermint that has no added fluoride at my Wal-Mart.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Another Tom's of Maine fan here. I like the fennel or the spearmint. I found it just took a little time to adjust to the taste difference. Now I can't stand regular toothpaste!
A bit off topic but DH and I were discussing how we can't stand the taste of iceburg any more. Its all watery and flavorless. It used to be all we ate was iceburg. Isn't it funny how all natural or healthier products taste odd when we first experience them, but once we get used to it, we'd fight tooth and nail before we went back?

Back on topic now: Free had posted a link to Women's menopause health center for the all natural face cream and they have a great sounding cinnamon tooth paste.
http://www.womens-menopause-health.com/recipes/sweet_cinnamon_toothpaste.htm

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Baking soda and peroxide mixed into a paste.

rowdysunsetart

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If you ad a touch of peppermint or almond extract it takes the nasty taste away...I make small batches and that way it doesnt go bad.

gettinaclue said:
I had a dentist tell me that the best home made toothpaste was made of baking soda and epsom salt. I can't stand the taste of it though. I've been thinking of adding some sort of flavoring right before I brush my teeth because it is pretty icky. My teeth look great though and my gums are happy. No stains even though I smoke.

DollDoctor

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What a great thread! I have used Tom's of Maine for years but recently switched to the cheapest type of Colgate for financial reasons. I hate using that chemical stuff, so when this tube is gone I'm making my own! Hubby likes wintergreen and I like peppermint so I can even make a batch for each of us! Never would have even thought of it if it hadn't been for this great forum.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is a great thread! I love the all natural toothpastes. I have been going to a dentist pretty much non-stop for 6 yrs or better and still am having terrible problems with my teeth and gums. Would these all natural toothpastes be helpful in treating gum disease? The gum disease is not severe, but due to smoking all of 20 years and not taking proper care of my teeth.Dentist wants to numb my mouth and do a "deep cleaning" under my gumline. :sick I would rather not. I know I have read peroxide is supposed to be helpful in the treatment of gum disease. I have been using peroxide and having some success with it. I just need to use it more. I don't mean to hijack here, but if anyone has any info on this, please let me know. Thanks!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Henrietta23 said:
Another Tom's of Maine fan here. I like the fennel or the spearmint. I found it just took a little time to adjust to the taste difference. Now I can't stand regular toothpaste!
A bit off topic but DH and I were discussing how we can't stand the taste of iceburg any more. Its all watery and flavorless. It used to be all we ate was iceburg. Isn't it funny how all natural or healthier products taste odd when we first experience them, but once we get used to it, we'd fight tooth and nail before we went back?

Back on topic now: Free had posted a link to Women's menopause health center for the all natural face cream and they have a great sounding cinnamon tooth paste.
http://www.womens-menopause-health.com/recipes/sweet_cinnamon_toothpaste.htm
Thank you! I want to make that one but I wonder if I can use stevia in it. No xylitol handy.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have been going to a dentist pretty much non-stop for 6 yrs or better and still am having terrible problems with my teeth and gums. Would these all natural toothpastes be helpful in treating gum disease
"Our modern dental woes have a lot do to with modern whole-body ills like heart disease and diabetes, according to the author of a review of decades' worth of studies on diet and health.

The culprit in both cases? The so-called fermentable carbohydrates forming the foundation of the modern diet, says Dr. Philippe P. Hujoel of the University of Washington School of Dentistry in Seattle. These include sugars and starchy foods that break down into sugars in the mouth, as well as tropical fruits and dried fruits.

Hujoel argues in the Journal of Dental Research that gum disease and tooth decay should be seen as "alarm bells" that signal a person is at risk of heart disease, diabetes and other chronic health problems."

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE56Q4RM20090727

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
This is a great thread! I love the all natural toothpastes. I have been going to a dentist pretty much non-stop for 6 yrs or better and still am having terrible problems with my teeth and gums. Would these all natural toothpastes be helpful in treating gum disease? The gum disease is not severe, but due to smoking all of 20 years and not taking proper care of my teeth.Dentist wants to numb my mouth and do a "deep cleaning" under my gumline. :sick I would rather not. I know I have read peroxide is supposed to be helpful in the treatment of gum disease. I have been using peroxide and having some success with it. I just need to use it more. I don't mean to hijack here, but if anyone has any info on this, please let me know. Thanks!
I have had the root planing thing done. The worst part is the novacaine or maybe the anticpation of the procedure. I don't know of anything that is going to clean under the gums the same way.
I'm now taking much better care of my teeth and flossing each and every night. What a difference!