I Need to use up Self Rising Flour

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Hubby bought self rising flour by mistake and opened it already so we need to use it. I thought about making up some kind of quick mix with it but need ideas. I like corn bread and biscuits pretty well so that might work. Looking for more ideas/recipes.

I usually use whole wheat flour and have plenty of that + corn meal and a plenty of oatmeal if that gives any inspiration.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Lots of waffles for quick fix breakfasts from the freezer. I do that for DD. I make up a TON of waffles and put in a gallon freezer bag for her to pop into the toaster for a quick yet healthy meal every morning.

Another idea..biscuits for dressing with Easter dinner, or just biscuits in general. It's good for gravy as well, though that doesn't use up much.

Yeah...that's all i got for now ;)

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All I use is self-rising flour and whole wheat,..if it were me I would throw it in the freezer to use later or make up a pile of whole wheat pancakes,..(mix the self-rising with the whole wheat flour) and store them in the freezer for a quick breakfast,..or make waffles. I have the same problem when hubby packs home all purpose flour by accident,...I usually just give it to my mother. :)

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. We got a chance to see some good friends on short notice, so I was offline for a while. Had a nice evening with them.
Wish I had a separate freezer. We just have a small frig/freezer combo and need to save space in there for stuff we really use. That's why I want to start using it up.

Marianne - I really like biscuits but no Hardees around here. Do they just coat normal biscuits with cinnamon sugar, or ?

Wannabefree - We don't have a waffle iron but I like really pancakes and those could be frozen for a quickie breakfast. Mmmmm :) Hubby already bought a bulk sized bag of gravy mix. We already had all the ingredients it would have needed . . . except the fancy label.

Up-the-Creek - I planned on finding a jar recipe for pancake mix, but haven't done it yet. Guess I better get around to it. We have honey to spread on them. :drool

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The clone biscuits are very soft (I always add more flour or they kind of puddle out) and have cinnamon swirled through them and raisins. Then a light powdered sugar glaze on top. This is the recipe that I use:
http://www.grouprecipes.com/27763/hardees-cinnamon-raisin-biscuits.html

This dough does not freeze well!

Don't blame you for wanting to use it up. I make my own and store it in a big jar in the cupboard. As long as it's closed tightly, it should keep for a long time. I have used mine 6 months or so after I mixed it up and it was fine.

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Biscuits, cheese/garlic biscuits (like Red Lobsters), waffles, pancakes, can be used in cake or cookie recipes (omit salt and baking powder). You can add some whole grain with it and add enough baking powder just to cover the whole grain. How about an oatmeal cookie mix?

You can make your own bisquick type baking mix. Use a basic biscuit recipe and add shortening and powdered milk....I am not sure how long that will keep at room temp. and all the recipes I have seen call for solid shortening.

Garlic cheese biscuits: To any basic biscuit recipe add grated American or cheddar cheese, a tsp or so of dried parsley and 1-2 cloves of crushed garlic (garlic powder is okay but not as good). You can use butter instead of oil/shortening if you like. Way too good.

Self rising flour lasts a lot longer at room temp than whole grain flours do.

I hope that helps you use your "bounty".

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. :)
Marianne - I rarely bake sweets but that sounds good.

4morefromless - Making a bisquick substitute sounds good since I could use it for a variety of stuff. Oatmeal cookies are always great. Garlic biscuits sound good but I always love garlic.

okiemomof3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
you can also use SR flour to make homemade dumplins or homemade noodles... it doesn't really affect it too much and i have used SR flour in a pinch many a time and nobody could tell a difference. to make use one cup flour and one egg with enough water/broth to make a soft dough, roll out and cut with pizza cutter and drop into boiling water. you can add in herbs also to the dough if you want. i usually use 4 eggs and 4 cups water for my family. you can use the dumplins for either chicken and dumplin's, beef and dumplins, grape dumplins (yum!!)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
If you have a vacuum sealer, you can seal that flour in quart or half gallon canning jars. It will keep forever like that.