I Need to use up Self Rising Flour

erthymom2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wonder if this would work with potatoe dumplings i make - gnocci's?? never tried it with SRF but hey, if it works i can use up one bag i still have in the pantry under sealed storage.

okiemomof3 said:
you can also use SR flour to make homemade dumplins or homemade noodles... it doesn't really affect it too much and i have used SR flour in a pinch many a time and nobody could tell a difference. to make use one cup flour and one egg with enough water/broth to make a soft dough, roll out and cut with pizza cutter and drop into boiling water. you can add in herbs also to the dough if you want. i usually use 4 eggs and 4 cups water for my family. you can use the dumplins for either chicken and dumplin's, beef and dumplins, grape dumplins (yum!!)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Okie - Cool, I like noodles and dumplings. I bet I could make some kind of pizza crust from it too. Didn't even think of that till you mentioned the pizza cutter.

Sk8pin - No sealer so far, but one would be handy.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
erthymom2 - Let us know if you make the gnocci with it. I've only had the pre-made version. It might work for Matzoh balls too. I haven't made those in a long time.

Gallina Vecchia

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You can get rid of this by making some beer bread and/or beer bread mixes to give away or keep on hand.
Beer Bread Mix
3 cups SELF-RISING flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
Mix together and put into an airtight jar or a plastic bag

Beer Bread
1 package beer bread mix
12 ounces of beer
cup melted butter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or spray a 9x5x3 or 8x4x3 bread pan. In a large mixing bowl, combine the mix with the beer. Mix well with a spoon. The batter will be lumpy. Pour the batter into the bread pan. Pour the butter over the top. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until deep golden brown. Cool slightly and turn out of pan to finish cooling.
Variations:
Layer batter into prepared pan, alternating with cinnamon sugar.
Stir cubes of cheese into batter.
Stir grated parmesan and Italian herbs into batter.
Fold cubes of salami, summer sausage or ham into batter.

Adjust the sugar up or down to your taste.

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Self-rising flour can be used in any baking or cooking.

One cup of self-rising flour equals 1 C all purpose flour plus 1-1/4 tsp baking powder plus 1/8 tsp salt.

Also, check out Robin Hood flour (or ask around any older folks for a copy of the Robin Hood cookbook). Every recipe gives both measurements for self-rising flour and regular flour. Best chocolate pie recipe ever!

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Gallina - I don't like the taste of beer, but thanks for the idea.

Simple Life- Thanks for the info. I checked their recipes website for recipes. So much temptation . . . :drool

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Beer bread tastes NOTHING like beer! It is really good!!