I picked up three wallpaper sample books...UPDATE PICS: what I did :)

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
How does one aquire these wallpaper sample books? :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Go to any smallish decorating store. They usually sell flooring, paint, and wallpaper, or one or two of those. Best bet is a smaller family owned and operated. Just ask! The sample books expire and new ones come in. Same with the flooring and rug samples. Tiles, too, crafters! They usually sell the rug samples, though, the full-size ones are usually bound. My mother was always putting books in the back room for people. Eventually, she had a section of the store room for "craft supplies" for when people came in asking. She was special that way, so don't get discouraged if the first store you go into, someone looks at you like you have three heads or tries to sell the books to you. Move on. They are out there.

I recently had a rug installed and asked the owner if he had any scrap flooring that would be tossed in the dumpster that I could line the bottom of my coop walls with. I got a 2' high roll of ugly stuff that he gladly gave me for free when he came to install the rug. It costs them to toss it.

My mother used to also sell matching fabric, and I got all the sample books. I just found some in a storage tote, and it is in the wash as we speak. It will become a quilt. It is very high quality fabric, lots of Waverly, mostly 100% cotton, no two pieces are alike! This is harder to find, as these samples are expensive to carry and for my folks, at least, custom draperies were not ordered often and they eventually discontinued offering them.

Dumpster diving is so much fun! Especially if you can get to it before it hits the dumpster!

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Get inexpensive frames and coordinating matts and hang them up in groups of 3. Like over a bed, mantle, etc.
I lke that..in fact, I have some frames from freecycle and I need something to hang over the guest bed!!:)

How does one aquire these wallpaper sample books?
These were posted on Craigslist, but you might could call and ask if the stores has discontinued books.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!!!

karen7

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've used wallpaper samples to make small boxes and matching lids. Most of the paper will make and hold a good crease. They are very easy to make and real cute for small item gift boxes. Google how to make paper boxes and you'll find a few different ways. It's a great project for kids, too. Also for girls, they can make paper doll dresses with them.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You know what, my daughter is alwasy making paper boxes from old christmas and birthday cards. SHe will have an unlimited, beautiful supply if the wallpaper works! Thanks for the idea.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The wallpaper boxes are a little more delicate (ok, flimsy) but are VERY pretty! Get the heavier vinyl papers, whatever is the most stiff, and you'll have some great material for projects. If you are gluing, you might need a tube of the appropriate glue, like vinyl paste, but the store will carry that. Get the small repair size, it'll last forever.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
When we were in college we would go to the local carpet store and ask them for outdated or discontinued carpet squares that they used for samples. Then we would put them together all crazy patchworked on the floor of our dorm room and if we ever got one dirty or stained then we pulled it up to clean it and if we couldn't get it clean then we just replaced it with another one. I would love to do that with my kids for a play room, if I had a play room :D.

There are a lot of things that you can get from design stores if you just ask....especially at the change of a season, end of the year, etc, when they change up their stock.