I Planted Sugar Cane

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Anything that my free range chickens dont eat. lol

I totally 'get' that! I must have purt near a hunnnert (pardon my grammer - but that reminds me of my grampa!) chickens of various varieties around here. I formerly kept them all segregated and raised a bunch of pure breeds - but right now they are all running together and producing some very interesting chicks! But, you're right that they can decimate a garden pretty quickly!

That's a good lookin roo sitting on your fence!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My sugar cane failed. I planted it in really poor sand and too far away to water. I'll try again next year. @Jshubin have you ever planted sugar cane from seed? And I didn't think of planting in the fall, sounds like a good idea. I think I need to enrich a plot, compost it heavy, and plant seed this fall.

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My sugar cane failed. I planted it in really poor sand and too far away to water. I'll try again next year. @Jshubin have you ever planted sugar cane from seed? And I didn't think of planting in the fall, sounds like a good idea. I think I need to enrich a plot, compost it heavy, and plant seed this fall.
No not from seed. I left a few shoots from last to grow out, but they havent seeded yet. I dont really buy seeds, I just take advantage of free seeds from foods that i bought.

I think starting from cuttings gives the cane a headstart because of the nutrients/moisture stored in the cane.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I'll try seed this fall and go find some sugar cane and plant that too! One of them is bound to work!

Latest posts