I wanna make an apron

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Okie, you must be reading my mind. I have NEVER owned an apron before, but I am thinking more and more about aquiring one--as in making one myself. For probably better than a year, I have been walking around with a dish towel tucked into my pants, so I have an easy accesible place to wipe off my hands. and my clothes is getting stained

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cut the seat out of an old pair of jeans and you'll have a thick apron with pockets.

Cut the legs off just above where they turn into the behind, a little way below the seat pocket bottoms.
Then cut up the side seams (to the front side of the leg seams) up to the waistband, then follow the waistband around to the last set of belt loops. Cut the waistband off just forward of the loops.

Run a wide ribbon through the belt loops & tie on.

If you're feeling creative, you can edge it with lace or some other decorative edging. Otherwise, just let it ravel like jeans do.

Jeans_Apron.jpg

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Cut the seat out of an old pair of jeans and you'll have a thick apron with pockets.

Cut the legs off just above where they turn into the behind, a little way below the seat pocket bottoms.
Then cut up the side seams (to the front side of the leg seams) up to the waistband, then follow the waistband around to the last set of belt loops. Cut the waistband off just forward of the loops.

Run a wide ribbon through the belt loops & tie on.

If you're feeling creative, you can edge it with lace or some other decorative edging. Otherwise, just let it ravel like jeans do.

http://www.kbcrafting.com/pics/Jeans_Apron.jpg
That is too cute! I'm going to make me one to work in the garden with!

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Just take a ruler or tape measure and measure on yourself where you want it to go. Like, how wide across your front do you want it to be; how far below your waist do you want it to hang down; if you want a full apron, how wide and tall do you want the top half. Transfer measurements to sheet of newspaper, cut out, hold it up against you to make sure you still like the fit, then cut out of fabric (add seam allowances when cutting!!), hem, attach ties, and there ya go :p

Pat
:lol:
You seem to think I can follow my own directions!!!

it'll end up with the bib down to my waist and the waist around my hips and be 10x's too small.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm terrible at making my own patterns, so I would wait until patterns go on sale for $1.00 at Joann's. Here's some I made recently, with ties that criss-cross in the back. The ones that go over the neck always bother me. I'm also working on some smock-style aprons that go all the way around and cover your back also. Can you tell I'm messy?? Anyway, aprons are awesome and easy just pick the style you like!

100_2413.jpg
100_2414.jpg

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
I'm terrible at making my own patterns, so I would wait until patterns go on sale for $1.00 at Joann's. Here's some I made recently, with ties that criss-cross in the back. The ones that go over the neck always bother me. I'm also working on some smock-style aprons that go all the way around and cover your back also. Can you tell I'm messy?? Anyway, aprons are awesome and easy just pick the style you like!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/mousy_girl/House/100_2413.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/mousy_girl/House/100_2414.jpg
oh, that style is cute! I like it bunches