I want to grow something on 30' of chain link fence

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We grow Kiwis here too, but it's a variety called Arctic Kiwi that grows down to zone 3 I think (we're zone 4)... they look like green grapes but taste like super sweet kiwis... YUM...

Anything that vines would work... :)

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Interesting on the kiwi - how's the yeild? I'm zone 5-6 in central WA. We get a bit of extremes -we hit 110* in the summer and hover around zere or a little under (occasionally dipping lower) in the winter, so I have to have fairly hardy plants.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
:pop

I'm in a similar climate and doing the same thing. I have livestock on the other side of a lot of the fencing and wouldn't mind planting something ornamental they could nibble on.

I also have some chain link I'd just like to grow food on for the family, away from the livestock.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got boysenberries on a trellis, but they'd probably do just as well on chain link, though I think you'd have to wind the branches through or tie them up yourself.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Lots of great ideas!

Kiwi spread like crazy! We're in zone 4 with hardy kiwi climbing the house and front porch.

Also, how about climbing peas, pole beans, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, indeterminate tomatoes?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I am putting up an Amaranth hedge against our chain link dog kennel fence this year. I put beans up 2 years ago, but I bought 2 fancy schmancy bean towers for them this year. We have a row of roses along one side of the dog yard, the house is another side, Amaranth will be another side, and the fourth side is where we park the cars.

Can you really put cuke vines on a fence? and the fruit doesn't fall off??

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Nope. The stems are thicker when you run it up the trellis, but I never had any fall off.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Neat. Maybe I will put some against the fence this year. I still want to try to get crisp pickles.

And, I love kiwi- I didn't know it could grow in the cold! I will have to try to see if I can find any arctic kiwi plants online.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
honeysuckle flower is edible!
and they are traditioanlly planted to ward off bad vibes, bad luck ect.
My chain link is covered in honeysuckle. Great coverage and smells great. but I have the most evil neighbors, so I dont think the bad vibe theory is 100 percent. LOL.

2chickenrich

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We have thornless blackberrys growing on our chain link they will run under ground making new plants and make large fruit every year