Ibicella - Apartments to Acres

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Future Career: Hopefully farmer
Hobbies: Knitting, drawing, singing, learnin' things
Favorite TV shows/movies: Don't really watch any.
Likes:Chocolate, cute fluffy animals, computers, wry humor, learning
Dislikes:Zealots of any description, anybody too heavily into "-isms", the deliberately stupid, French Toast
Pet: Three adorable pet rats

Happy New Year's, all. I'm starting this journal to chronicle my year as I start making some changes in my life to work towards my dream of being self sufficient home owner. I just moved a week before Christmas into a one bedroom, one bathroom apartment. I have money saved from inheritance to by my own home with acreage come Autumn 2010. Time to start small, yes? My goal is to spend this year learning and practicing as much as I can.

I like my apartment. It's 600 square feet, has a HUGE counter in the kitchen and I'm on the 3rd floor facing East/West. I have a nice big deck too. Just perfect for starting a container garden in the spring.

Current Projects:

- Budgeting. It's not so much that I am a bad spender, it's more that I've got a bad learning disability when it comes to math, and I ALWAYS seem to make a mistake that costs me somewhere. Forgetting about this or that bill, forgetting to check gas prices, miscalculating pounds per price when I buy produce at the grocery store...and so on. I STILL can't figure out sales tax or tips.

- Learning how to manage my food better. I'm actually doing pretty well at this. I got myself a crock pot and I'm having a blast throwing stuff into it. I've cut down a LOT on food waste because of it. I learned how to make my own stocks and butcher my own meat too. Still longing for the day when I can own my OWN chickens and livestock for this! Good skills for me to have when the time comes now.

- Sewing new hammocks for my ratties out of some old clothes, and learning how to knit something other than blankets and scarves.

- Challenging myself to start using what I've got and being creative rather than going out and buying things I "think" I need.

Projects In Planning

Spring - Deck Garden. Definitely growing my own herbs! This I'm familiar with, so I just need to pick my plant. Going to try my hand at a few vegetable trays. Some tomatoes, beans, garlic, and maybe a few other things. I've never grown veggies before, so I've got a lot of researching to do.

- Compost piling? No clue how to do this. Need to research.

- Starting small with some carpentry. I can't hammer a nail straight. Gonna figure out how to build my deck trays for the plants.

Summer - Expanding on carpentry skills. Need to figure out a bigger project to work on.

- Hopefully budgeting in the Spring will yield me being able to buy a sewing machine. I can hand sew, but I'd like to learn how to make some clothes and things. Haven't used a machine in years, so I'll employ some friends who sew to help me relearn how to use the darned thing.

- Working with thermodynamics. 3rd floor apartment and no shade. It faces East/West. Gonna get hot in the summer. Built a swamp cooler last summer, but I think I can improve on that idea more.

Fall - Buying my house! All year will be spent learning what to look for, how to do it, and how to get the best value for my money.

- Get a few chicks to start raising through the winter so they will be ready to lay fairly early in 2011.

I think this is enough for now. Gonna be a lot of things popping up through the year that I'll need to consider as I muddle my way through. But this is good enough for the first night of 2010.

Happy New Year to you all! May it be blessed with good fortune and ease in daily life. :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome Sounds like you have great plans. I wish you the best of luck on finding your own home....with land! Home ownership is a big responsibility...no landlord to call when things go wrong! LOL

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad to have you here! We'll all help any way we can!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello Ibicella

Welcome:

As I have said to others that have joined since me-This is a wonderful place full of knowledgeable and great folks. So enjoy and good luck on your SS journey.

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
justusnak said:
:welcome Sounds like you have great plans. I wish you the best of luck on finding your own home....with land! Home ownership is a big responsibility...no landlord to call when things go wrong! LOL
Thank you, and boy, do I hear that! I'm a bit nervous about being a homeowner, but it's my ultimate dream, so this is what my year is for! I'm going to BE that woman who can fix a leaky faucet, caulk a tub, and build her own chicken coop!

I'm very lucky I have a passel of very supportive friends, family, and a loving fiance with skills I don't have to fill in the blanks. And I'm very thankful for this board and BYC and BYH! It's been 20 years since I worked on a farm, so I've still got a long ways to go.

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Man, I'm tired.

I normally work 10-12 hours on a daily basis. My company seems to think that if we're only doing our 40 hours a week, we don't have enough to do. Plus this is the other side of the economy in that companies are trying to make do with less, which means the surviving employed are worked to the bone to get everything done.

Literally, my days are get up, commute, work, commute, sleep. Wash, rinse, repeat for 5 or 6 days a week and sleep on the 7th.

It's not new to me. This has happened at pretty much every job I've been in.

I have no time for myself. I have no time to care for my home. I have no time for my family. I have no time to be self sufficient or do anything for myself or anyone else. Supposedly I still have a fiance, which I never get to see. I only get to really talk to him on the phone or on instant messaging. He's in the same boat I am most nights.

I really need to take some stock in my life and what I want to do. I enjoy working, but I can't spend the next 50 years of working life that I have in Corpurut Amurika. Everyone says "Well, at least you're getting paid overtime!"

I can always make money, but I can't make my life back. I don't know how people transition out of this rat race. Is it truly possible? Seems like wishful thinking to me...but I'm not giving up hope yet.