Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs I know you can do it - it will just take some planning :hugs

You're right money isn't everything.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome...

The daily grind is not fun. But let me tell you what I have learned. Since the economy took a turn for the worse. While you can, even though the long hours suck take advantage of it.

Pay off your debt.
Save as much as you can.
Maybe make of few of those costly purchases on things you need to be SS. Some things I would have bought are hand tools, a grain mill, cast iron pots, canning supplies etc.. The sewing machine is a great idea. There will be many opportunities to use it in your new home.

Your home search will be exciting. But keep in mind your ultimate goals. Sounds like you want to be independent. Maybe find a place with woods for heat source and a well for water. Good southern exposure for gardens a bit of land for your animals.

I am sure you have thought about all of this before. Just a couple things that came to mind while reading your intro... I hope you don't mind.

gina

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've got the gardening itch something bad.

February in the Northwest is pretty much already heading full tilt into spring. I'm sure that's accounting for my spring fever. On my work break today I went out and sat in the sun and watched the budding trees waving in the breeze while being pestered for money by bums downtown.

Yesterday I got the signal that now is the time to start doing spring planting planning. My work had someone come out from Seattle Tilth come out and give us a little seminar on composting. It was really informative! It gave me an idea for a project to do this weekend, and that's build a worm bin for my apartment. I'm looking forward to having something fun to do this weekend and build it!

I also repotted my sage plant, which I'll put outside in the morning. It's becoming grumpy being stuck indoors, so I'm going to take my chances with it outdoors and hopefully it will be a happier plant. I also used some leftover cardboard packing carton that came with my new juicer and turned them into seedling cups. I have wheat grass, parsley, cilantro, and basil planted and sitting on my windowsill now. Come on babies! Germinate for mama!

Spring cannot get here fast enough!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have the bug as well, it's going around. Worm farms are great. You just have to remember to feed them. :p You work actually had that company come in and give a demo? How cool is that.

I hope your seedling get going for you. what are you going to do with the wheat grass?

Have a great day,

gina

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yup, gotta love living in progressive Seattle! I love my company. They offer speakers to come in on all sorts of topics from financing strategies to composting.

I use the wheat grass for juicing. I just love fresh juices, and it's great for your blood, energy, and nutrition.

The pulp left over from juicing is also PERFECT worm food. ;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Welcome to Sufficient Self! :frow

We had pet rats for years when the kids were little. Really very personable little pets!

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Welcome to Sufficient Self! :frow

We had pet rats for years when the kids were little. Really very personable little pets!
Yeah, I love my boys dearly. They are slowly melting even the hardest hearts. My boss is really icked out by rats, but he couldn't help but admit my boys were adorable when he saw their picture. :)