Ice cream maker.... what do i need to know

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, what do i need to konw about homemade ice cream. I want to buy and ice cream maker. Or get one for an xmas gift. My moms been bugging me on making out a list!!!

Anyways, anyone have a brand they like the most? or something they really hate about thiers?? I was looking at a Cuisinart automatic one from Crate and barrell. it was $60 i think. Thats not too bad. my son and Dh and I LOVE ice cream. My little guy does too.... but probably shouldnt feed him very much tho. since he isnt even a year old yet!!! Any suggestions?? Thanks,Rach

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We have a electric ice cream maker thats been in the closet unused for 35 years, and I LOVE IT. I made Ice cream last week and it was divine. I plan to make pumpkin ice cream tomorrow :D

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We used to have a hand crank and I loved that thing! Made the most divine banana nut ice cream.

Unfortunately a neighbor stripped the gears on it...we never got another one. Sorry, I don't remember the brand name, electric would be so much easier, too!

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Definately Recomend...
For valentines one year I got my hubby a cuisinart 2 bowl one...
what can I say the gift that just keeps giving...though A bit too generously on the wasteline...
I chose the cuisinart because it could do 2 different flavours at once and handle small and large batches...
One thiing though to consider though...is what is your freezer...
the bowls need to be really frozen to work...
mine wont work coming out of the upright or fridge, only the chest freezer seems to be cold enough...
but Home made icecream is way good....
I remember once having icecream from a handcrank...
never ever forgot how wonderfull it tasted

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have one where you freeze the bowl - so no salt or ice, and also no electricity (other than the freezer, which, one assumes, was running anyway). I think it is a Donvier. I got the small one, as we are only two; It makes only about a pint at a time. This was a mistake :p. Definitely a larger size is better. Otherwise though I love it. Very easy, and relatively quick.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have one. It's great. A 2-quart Cuisinart. It's easy and big enough to do just the right amount for a family of 3-4.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
We have one. It's great. A 2-quart Cuisinart. It's easy and big enough to do just the right amount for a family of 3-4.
Ditto. Super easy to use, comes with recipes plus there are lots online if you search :)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We too have the Cuisinart and it makes fantastic ice cream! I have a deep freeze for the bowls also which does seem to help.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm not partial to any particular brand, but I'd get one that makes alot at one time. I'd also get one that can be both hand crank and electric, in case the ower goes out, or you want to take it to the beach, camping, etc. My family devours the stuff. That said, I have some really good recipes when you get your machine :D

SD Farm Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have both sizes of Donvier brand ice cream makers. The smaller size is great for a single person, the larger for a family or group.
They can be purchased on Ebay for significantly less than say, Amazon, if you watch for a good price. Even cheaper, like mine, if they spell the brand wrong and no one else bids. If you can get a good deal on the larger model, I'd say get that one. I make a batch of vanilla base ice cream, freeze it in individual servings and then just mix whatever fruit I'm in the mood for in it when I decide to have ice cream. Or mix a miniature candy bar in, peanut butter cup or broken candy cane for peppermint ice cream.

They don't require electricity or salt and you just need to turn the handle every few minutes until it's done. It makes terrific tasting ice cream and they come with a recipe booklet. You mostly just need eggs, cream, sugar and flavorings.

My friend swears by her Cuisinart electric model and her family uses it 2-4 times per week. I live in an area that loses power often due to the wind or weather so thought a non-electric model would be best for me plus I don't have to worry about having rock salt on hand that other models require.