Ideas and recipes needed for NT/WAPF make ahead grab-n-go meals

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Stuff that can be made in advance. Need ideas. Not grains only.....meals, not muffins! Breakfast and lunch.....breakfast is tough to make ahead the night or weekend before....

I have some busy days coming up, back in school again (as a student as well as teaching.) I know there are others here who could benefit from more ideas, too.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
"New Testament" and...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ahem. just kidding but thats all i can think of.... dang that joke just never gets old......

Nourishing Traditions and Weston A Price Foundation, right, Free? do i get an A?

:)

(hi Old Fashioned!)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ooops, NT must be Nourishing Traditions but the other I can't figure out & I'm not that familiar with either anyway. But here are some make ahead breakfast ideas I've used for the kids....

1. French toast, pancakes & waffles are easy to make ahead & put in the freezer, just pop into the microwave to heat as is. You can also put some type of meat &/or berries in the P&W batter. When reheating just smear with butter & fold over to eat on the go if you don't have time to sit down w/syrup on a plate. Actually I really like peanut butter smeared on blueberry pancake sandwiches YUM

2. Pigs in a blanket-sausage links rolled in biscuit dough & baked.

3. Cook up some bacon, sausage or ham chunks with scrambled eggs. Roll out biscuit dough kinda thin & put in some meat/egg mixture, top with some cheese, fold over the dough & pinch to seal. Then bake for a breakfast pocket.

4. If you have some meat & egg mixture precooked & frozen, you can put this on a tortilla, top with some cheese & salsa & fold for a burrito.

Of course eating these are much better freshly cooked, but still good frozen & nuked........if you're so inclined

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
"New Testament" and...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ahem. just kidding but thats all i can think of.... dang that joke just never gets old......

Nourishing Traditions and Weston A Price Foundation, right, Free? do i get an A?

:)

(hi Old Fashioned!)
:frow OFG, when did you sneak in here???? And of course, I should have known 'Weston Price' as I've seen her post about it before. :frow to you too Free!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ha-ha, OFG, you always get an A with me! Hey, I'm cutting the cheese today! Twice! Caerphilly and feta.

Thanks for the ideas, oldfashioned. I wonder if pancake batter can be "soaked" if not sourdough. Or will the pancakes be flat. How long can pancake batter sit before being cooked? Will it be good after 12 hours?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Ha-ha, OFG, you always get an A with me! Hey, I'm cutting the cheese today! Twice! Caerphilly and feta.

Thanks for the ideas, oldfashioned. I wonder if pancake batter can be "soaked" if not sourdough. Or will the pancakes be flat. How long can pancake batter sit before being cooked? Will it be good after 12 hours?
Don't know if this helps, but I refrigerate pancake/waffle batter for as long as 24 hours before using. Does the refrigeration matter to the soaking? I do it because there's eggs in my batter.

I also got a great recipe from my friend who is a nutritionist for blender waffles--you soak the wheat overnight before mixing it up, so I think it meets with the NT way of doing things. I posted it in FarmerJamie's thread, hang on I'll go find it...

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's the blender pancake/waffles recipe:

moolie said:
Blender Pancakes/Waffles

Soak 1 cup wheat berries overnight in half a cup of water
In the morning, add 1/2 cup milk and blend on highest setting for 3-4 minutes until smooth
Add 2 eggs, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tbsp oil or butter, and 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey and blend on low until combined
Use blender jar to pour batter on pan for pancakes or into waffle iron for waffles

*for waffles increase total amount of oil/butter to 1/4 cup

Makes 8 regular pancakes or 6 large waffles, easy to double