Ideas and recipes needed for NT/WAPF make ahead grab-n-go meals

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I would purchase a personal size crock pot for hot stuff.
Try and find one with controls though. Mine has one setting, and its quite hot.
Its what I use for Sunday potlucks, so my gluten free food stays clean.
Another option is the heat packs that Pyrex supplies for their insulated carry bags.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Great idea, BBrooks! I have one, it came with a larger one I bought years ago. The one setting is hotter than Low but cooler than High. It will be perfect. I won't leave it on all morning, but will experiment in advance as to how long it will take. I can put a foil wrapped home made egg muffin in there and get it nice and hot. Yay! That will take care of heating up lunch, too.

I knew the members here would come through!

Let's keep this going and add all kinds of make-ahead stuff for other busy people who work (like FarmerJamie) who want to eat a better diet on the go.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Great idea, BBrooks! I have one, it came with a larger one I bought years ago. The one setting is hotter than Low but cooler than High. It will be perfect. I won't leave it on all morning, but will experiment in advance as to how long it will take. I can put a foil wrapped home made egg muffin in there and get it nice and hot. Yay! That will take care of heating up lunch, too.

I knew the members here would come through!

Let's keep this going and add all kinds of make-ahead stuff for other busy people who work (like FarmerJamie) who want to eat a better diet on the go.
Thanks for the shout-out, Free. 'Appreciate it. Right now, most of my grab-n-go is leftovers in an oval corningware storage container (freezes well and I have access to a microwave), but I get tired of eating the same meal each day

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Coconut flour short cakes smeared with home made jam

Tiana's Strawberry Shortcake

These delicious little shortcakes are made in muffin cups.

Ingredients

cup sifted TIANA coconut flour
3 tablespoons butter, melted
3 eggs
3 tablespoons honey
teaspoon salt
teaspoon vanilla
teaspoon baking powder

Method

Blend together butter, eggs, honey, salt and vanilla. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and whisk into batter until there are no lumps. Pour batter into greased muffin cups. Bake at 205 Degree C (400F) for 15 minutes. Serve topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Makes 6 cakes.

Or Paleo Bread...
http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-bread/

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Now how do I sneak coconut flour into a household where at least two members refuse to even TASTE something that might have had coconut on the same shelf as the ingredients were on.....

FJ continues to mumble to himself, shuffling off with the Paleo Bread recipe printout in his hand......

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Just pour it in to a container so they can't see the label, write "Arecaceae flour" on it and bake away :D

(go ahead and google arecaceae...lol)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
hehehe. "I have a cunning plan".... hehehe

Taking DW for some oral surgery today. On the way home, there is a place I can get the needed ingredients. "Just close your eyes dear, I'll only be a minute". Once home, "here's an ice pack, and lets get you comfy in bed.".... LET THE BAKING COMMENCE! :cool:

um, bread, what's this?

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Bwaa haa haa.

I approve of your evil plot! Be sure to rub your hands together and twirl the end of your mostache frequently while it bakes. The evil makes it taste better. When it's done, tell them it's almond bread and try not to laugh too maniacally as they eat it.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Bwaa haa haa.

I approve of your evil plot! Be sure to rub your hands together and twirl the end of your mostache frequently while it bakes. The evil makes it taste better. When it's done, tell them it's almond bread and try not to laugh too maniacally as they eat it.
I did that yesterday with the squash brownies. I had made them before, ( I found them yummy). I told the kids what they were made from and their reaction was.... It's okay I guess. yesterday I made them and just told them they were brownies. My dd, who is quick to form opinions in her head before trying things, said, ... Mom, these brownies are awesome!!! I said, yes they are good arent'y they.

Bwaaa haaa haaa!!!!