Ideas for a tea garden?

chickenchalupa

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm thinking about planting a garden for making tea and i need ideas for what kind of plants you like and recomend. Chamomile, mint, lemon balm? thanks

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I don't know much about tea but I know you can't kill mint. LOL So that would be a good start. Actually I got a cutting of chocolate mint late last year and can't wait for spring so I can try using it.

Also, there is another tea thread here: http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1332

Might have some good info for you.

Edited to add - oops....forgot. Welcome to SS. Hope you enjoy this place as much as I do.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
:welcome

I LOVE my different varieties of mint: Orange, chocolate, peppermint, spearmint, apple mint. The choc is excellent for iced tea. They all grow well (consider them invasives) and dry well. Good luck!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would go on line and research your favorite types of tea. Read whats in them and copy. I buy a Traditional Medicinals brand that has different tea for all the ailments. Maybe with a bit of research you could plant exactly what you need. Good luck.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You are right about the mint. VERY hard to kill. I have chocolate mint. It makes a nice tea.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea be careful with mint...maybe in a container near the tea garden...LOL...cause it sure spreads.

But a tea garden is a cool idea. I am not a tea drinker. But for anyone who is...smart to have it at your finger tips.

Do you sell at the markets or anything.....homemade tea versions would be a great seller I would think...hmm...maybe an idea for me!

I take it you have to harvest and dry the tea leaves. I never did something like that for tea.

time for some research!

when you get it done post a pic...love to see it!

welcome!!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I actually make tea by pouring boiling water over the green leaves. But, for winter storage, I dried about a gallon bag of my mint leaves for winter use. Thanks for reminding me--have to go dig that out of the pantry :)

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Lemongrass
Lemon Verbena
Lemon Thyme
Pineapple Sage
Angelica
Anise mint
German Chamomile ( better than the commonly found Roman Chamomile seed)
Scented Geraniums like Rose Geranium

Look at the ingredients on herbal teas and grow those that you like.
Look at the herbal tea offerings from a teahouse menu.

A lot of flowers make interesting teas like Calendula, Dianthus, Lavender, Rose, especially when blended with other herbs. Most herbal teas are blends anyways.

Dried Blackberry and Strawberry leaves.
Stevia for sweetening.

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have read that you can make tea out of the leafs from certain berry plants

wild strawberries
black berries
raspberries