Ideas for a tea garden?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I did see that, but thought I should emphasize why :D

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I think herbal teas from home grown are fun. Our primary cold drink is iced tea, we gave up buying any store bought liquids. I brew it by the gallon, in the sun if possible. I often use a black tea bag base, but use only one to two family size bags per gallon. then I supplement with herbs. In the summer I throw in whatever is handy: fresh German chamomile flowers, lavender blooms, rose petals, catnip, mints etc. I am increasing my variety as I go along. From the pantry I use: cinnamon stick, ground allspice, cloves, star anise, there is more I am sure!
Farmerchick, I was told I could sell herbal iced tea at the Market if I want, I just need to find one of those huge insulated thermos containers.

CityChook

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My daughters (ages 4, 8 11) have a tea garden. Picking and making tea is one of their favorite activities when they have girlfriends over. We grow mint, lemon verbena and chamomile. I also have raspberries and some roses that they are allowed to pick and float the petals. So fancy.

In our cold clime, we have to replant the lemon verbena annually, but the others come back on their own. Caution: mint will take over your garden. We planted ours in a LARGE plastic pot underground, but with the rim above the dirt line and covered in mulch. This will help keep it contained but give it the benefits of being in the ground.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, happy day! Great thread. This was discussed recently elsewhere, and I just spoke to my mom about planting tea for her in the spring and she was THRILLED! So keep the ideas coming. She said she would try anything I planted and dried for her.

Along with plants, tell us what part of the plant and when to harvest (such as "harvest leaves and flower buds just as they appear" etc.) Tell us if a particular plant is particularly yummy to you.

I'd also like to know if anyone blends the plants, and which ones and in what proportions.

Please don't tell me to experiment, because I don't like any herbal teas, but want to make a year's supply with lots of variety for my mother, who does not stay anywhere near hydrated enough, which worries me. Tempting teas would help a lot.

Oh, and do some make good iced teas, too?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oh, happy day! Great thread. This was discussed recently elsewhere, and I just spoke to my mom about planting tea for her in the spring and she was THRILLED! So keep the ideas coming. She said she would try anything I planted and dried for her.

Along with plants, tell us what part of the plant and when to harvest (such as "harvest leaves and flower buds just as they appear" etc.) Tell us if a particular plant is particularly yummy to you.

I'd also like to know if anyone blends the plants, and which ones and in what proportions.

Please don't tell me to experiment, because I don't like any herbal teas, but want to make a year's supply with lots of variety for my mother, who does not stay anywhere near hydrated enough, which worries me. Tempting teas would help a lot.

Oh, and do some make good iced teas, too?
For iced tea I go out to the garden, grab a handful of Honey Melon Sage, some Pineapple Mint and a handful of Lemon Verbena, stems and all. I stuff it into a glass milk jug, pour boiling water over, let set till cooled and refrigerate till chilled. No proportions necessary. Same for hot tea except leaves are dried and not as much is needed.

If she seems to show a preference for one flavor use that as your base and add smaller amounts of others to it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Honey melon sage????

:::runs off to look for plants to order::::