Ideas for adding a few hundred $ in your pocket.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Let's throw some ideas up for all to see on how to add a little extra money in the pockets of fellow SS's.

I will start with this idea.

Take a patch of ground and grow giant sunflowers. You can sell the heads at farmers markers for natural bird feeders. A small an inexpensive wire hanger can be sold with them for hanging in trees.

Other places to sell them at to local garden shops and nurseries. You can even put a sign out in the front yard and sell them to passer byes.

I got the idea from a friend who would sell sunflowers to a local nursery for $3 each and in turn the nursery would sell them for $5. My friend usually grew about 200 a year and it was never enough for demand. I was getting ready to put in a 1/4 acre before my health took a turn for the worse and I had to move to town for temp. When I am back in the saddle I will be back at it and this is one of those little things I will be adding to the farm for extra cash. 300 heads sold could buy enough material to construct the new walk in smoker that I want to build.

So what are some of your ideas?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
How about poking around the garage for things to sell on E-bay or Craigs List? Hubby does that when we are broke sometimes. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

kimlove2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hit yard sales and estate sales. look for old broken jewelry. Many are glad to get rid of it for little or nothing. And if it is real gold or silver you can turn it in for quite a few $$$!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Buy low sell higher for profit on clearance items at local stores that aren't available everywhere.

Crafts, and crafts fairs.

Garden plants, excess veggies, etc. at farmers markets, flea markets etc.

Diversifying your merchandise pays pretty well ;) Concentrating on any single item, usually does not, unless you just happen to have a niche market.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ask your neighbors if they need any work done. :) Mow there yard, gutters cleaned out., some painting, smallm repairs and so on. :)

Most handyman are expensive too. :) I'm sure you can do the small stuff cheaper. :)

I just sold 2 items on ebay for 85.00 after fees and shipping. :)

Ebay and other sell sites are my extra money source. :)

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have 2 styro incubators a a gqf sportsmans I run them most of the year. l hatch chicken, duck, quail turkey. what ever I can hatch. I don't get rich but $20 here and there helps. This year I hope to sell honey from my bees :) Raising bees is easy and they are not mean, I would recommend them to anyone for some extra money and to help with pollination.
Brian

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey Beerman! good to see you here buddy
:)

we just got another hive... hopefully beez will be filling it soon. we didnt sell any honey last year but wow did we use it for trading

:)

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I had to have surgery on my elbow,now unexpectantly off work for a month, I have been tring to find ways to make a little money. I can't milk for awhile so I decided to sell my milk stand, sold it for 50.00 in a flash, had so much responce that we are now taking orders.it takes me and DH just a few hours to build one,at the cost of about 12.00 for materials.

It's a win win situation DH has somthing to do in the evening and we make a little side money.