Ideas for adding a few hundred $ in your pocket.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh that is smart. You find those items that are 'of no value' until needed. Get them for a song and make MONEY!

I hear ya!

Your hubby barters with Walmart. Now that is a first. How can he get lower at wallyworld on an item?
that takes alot of skill I would think? I want to know more!

now my Dad has barted with Lowes. Last of, say fertilizer, broken bags, will take all for X price. and they agree. I can see that but how do you barter on a walmart product? Is it kinda like that?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
Has anyone had any problems selling like the procesed meat rabbits/ chickens or eggs, or canned food like green beans - pickles or jelly?
We had a Pickle Law pass last year here in WI, which has set guidelines but allows home canners to sell their good, properly made, new jars, properly labeled, only high-acidity products.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow that is lucky cause with NC we must attend a class on pickling.

states are so varied and all of this is so confusing. KNOW your STATE and its rules.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Stuff on sale or clearence, he offers less and take several or all. Example= at the end of the summer a couple years ago walmart had some of those little hand held fans they sell for 1.50 and they were on clearence for 1.00 each he offered .20 each and he would take them all, they came down to .50 so he started to walk away and they stopped him and he bought them all for .25 each. 100 of them. The next year we sold them for .75 and our kids loved having them

Or dented or ripped boxes and cans of food. Stuff close to experation. He does it at many stores. For the most part people just pay the sale price. He always says "the worst they can do is say no". And if they say no he walks away saying "well ok then..." without taking it sometimes they will stop him and give in. Otherways if it something I realy want or need I will go back and get it.

I did farmers markets for a while- I baked bread. Did that till it felt more like a job and I hated it. Then gave it up. Was thinking that I might start again next year and keep it small, before I was doing 25-30 loaves a week just to sell, so keep it small @ 8-10 to sell so I don't get burned out again.

me&thegals

Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
wow that is lucky cause with NC we must attend a class on pickling.

states are so varied and all of this is so confusing. KNOW your STATE and its rules.
I think it's crazy and would never buy from a home canner unless I knew them very, very well. But, it made me a fair amount last year and gave me somewhere to go with some of my over-production.

Yet I can't sell eggs off the farm legally. Go figure. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow you can't sell eggs off the farm legally.

that is SO super diff. than NC.

eggs are a biggie at the markets cause we easily can sell with very little rules.

so diff. from state to state for sure.

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Do you have a specific place to go for the laws? I live in Oklahoma, people have road signs in front of their house for eggs, and such. So I can't see us being overregulated like some of you. But I certainly dont want to get some outrageous fine or have my hardwork confiscated! Which they would do just to be mean im sure! And like many confiscated items- would end up feeding a few police families! I know things like that actually occur- mom is a cop. I dont know where to look for these rules, so any help is appreciated!

me&thegals

Reaction score
We can sell from the house/farm, just can't transport them for sale. Not sure where to direct you for your state's laws...

TheMartianChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Most states have a Department of Agriculture or an extension program that can help you to learn the regulations for your area. The local Health Department may also be able to point you in the right direction.