Ideas for homemade snacks

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
calendula said:
I thought the unsoaked grains also prevented your body from absorbing certain minerals, which could cause other health problems like bone loss, depression, anemia, allergies, etc...
Yes! Most notable is that they will block Iron absorption.
The depression occurs because of a leaky gut.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
BB, when you make hot cereals for breakfast should those oats be soaked as well?

G
Yes.

Maybe a new thread, for the OPs sake?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
rd200 said:
Hi, so we eat pretty healthy. Alot of veggies, fruits, meat, etc. We do however have a granola bar addiction!!! We eat granola bars like they are going out of style. They are convenient, tasty, and easy to just take along with us. However as im getting into making more of my own foods, i want to try and get away from buying so much packaged foods such as these. Are there any healthy, homemade substitutes anyone can think of to replace these? Ive made myown granola once, it didnt go over too well cuz its not just something my hubby and son can just grab and go. My hubby isnt too into fruits and veggies, but i can get him to eat them IN things. Otherwise my son and I just grab an banana or apple. Any good recipies for "convenient" homemade snacks?? Thank you!!

ps- i just found this forum and let me tell you, its AWESOME!!! All the suggestions and advice is so helpful... espiecally to someone who is just starting out being more Frugal and homemade. Ive always done some things, but now id like to take it to the next level. Thanks so much!!!! Rach
Another yummy snack is nuts and dried fruits in a little cup, with gently melted raw coconut oil poured over. set in fridge to chill.

Also, do a search on here for Abi's super healthy Fat Bombs, They pack a great deal of nutrition in them, and taste outstanding!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
The homemade snack that "goes over" best at my house is the old fashioned cookie. Lots and lots of recipes for those! Why don't you make granola cookies?

We love to spread Nutella on the bottom of a cookie and then sandwich it with a second cookie (especially good with peanut butter cookies). :drool But you could do that with any spread, or use peanut butter if you don't care of Nutella.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I love this one. :drool

Cinnamon Toasted Almonds or other nuts

1 egg white
1 teaspoon cold water
4 cups whole almonds or other nuts
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Lightly grease a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan.
Lightly beat the egg white; add water, and beat until frothy but not stiff. Add the nuts, and stir until well coated. Mix the sugar, salt, and cinnamon, and sprinkle over the nuts. Toss to coat, and spread evenly on the prepared pan.
Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until golden. Allow to cool, then store nuts in airtight containers.

We also like to dehydrate cinnamon sprinkled apple slices and ginger sprinkled pear slices for great snacks. ;)

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh that sounds good, I'll have to try that one!

I don't have any granola bar type recipes , but my favorite snack this time of year is pumpkin seeds. There was a sweet and salty recipe that I made last year, it was so good! I don't have the exact recipe right now, but I can remember how you basically make them. You toast the seeds in a pan with butter til they're lightly browned and puff up a bit. Then, you add a couple tablespoons of sugar or honey, a little pumpkin pie spice (or whatever spices you like), and keep toasting them in the pan til the sugar is carmalized. Then sprinkle with sea salt to taste.

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for all the suggestions. Ill have to look up some recipies tommorow and go to the store and get baking!!! Last time i made granola, i soaked my oats before i used them and it took forever to get them dry. FOREVER!!! How long do you have to bake them in the oven?? I think mine didnt even get dry enough cuz when i made my granola later, it went from like mushy to hard as a rock in a few minutes. Not sure what i did wrong... How long do you soak them>i put like a few cups in a bowl and then filled the bowl with water and let it sit overnight.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is a really nice snack-

Fried Walnuts

Heat up some oil or fat in a heavy pot. While it is heating, take walnut halves and blanch them for a few minutes in boiling water. Drain the walnuts and dump in a bowl. Add a little bit of sugar and cinnamon or other spice that sounds good and stir it up. The water still clinging to the nuts will turn the sugar into a light syrup. Add the walnuts to the hot fat (not too many at once- you don't want the temp to drop too much) and fry the walnuts until the sugar coating turns a nice dark caramel color. Drain the walnuts on paper towels and lightly sprinkle with salt.

Latest posts