Ideas for homemade snacks

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi, so we eat pretty healthy. Alot of veggies, fruits, meat, etc. We do however have a granola bar addiction!!! We eat granola bars like they are going out of style. They are convenient, tasty, and easy to just take along with us. However as im getting into making more of my own foods, i want to try and get away from buying so much packaged foods such as these. Are there any healthy, homemade substitutes anyone can think of to replace these? Ive made myown granola once, it didnt go over too well cuz its not just something my hubby and son can just grab and go. My hubby isnt too into fruits and veggies, but i can get him to eat them IN things. Otherwise my son and I just grab an banana or apple. Any good recipies for "convenient" homemade snacks?? Thank you!!

ps- i just found this forum and let me tell you, its AWESOME!!! All the suggestions and advice is so helpful... espiecally to someone who is just starting out being more Frugal and homemade. Ive always done some things, but now id like to take it to the next level. Thanks so much!!!! Rach

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It;s that time of yr. :) Apple bars, apple bread ,apple squares and homemade apple sauce. That's what's on the snag table for another month. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
For something super healthy, look online for homemade larabar recipes. They are fruit, nuts, and spices and that is it....the best bars on the market, imo.

If you want a compromise between super healthy and....um....less so, use a basic rice crispies treats recipe with marshmallows and butter (no margarine!) and replace the rice crispies with your home made granola and whatever nuts and berries and seeds your family likes. You can basically make them with a good trail mix type mixture, too.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Oooh, yum. Rice Krispie treats :drool I haven't made them since the kids were little many years ago. Marshmallow and granola... the new yum. :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
We have made granola bars.
Soak the oats in water and a splash of lemon juice for 24 hours.
We also soak and dry the nuts per nourishing traditions.
Dry them in the oven.
Then proceed with your favorite recipe.
Oh, adn we use coconut oil instead of other vege oils.

This can also be turned into cereal.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I looked at Marianne's recipe link and immediately thought coconut oil, too. And dried cranberries. BB- when you soak your oatmeal how much longer does it take to dry? I have read some of your links about soaking grains, but it just seems to be a lot of work. Does it really make a difference if you aren't having digestion difficulties to start with?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
valmom said:
I looked at Marianne's recipe link and immediately thought coconut oil, too. And dried cranberries. BB- when you soak your oatmeal how much longer does it take to dry? I have read some of your links about soaking grains, but it just seems to be a lot of work. Does it really make a difference if you aren't having digestion difficulties to start with?
It does make a difference. The grain is all raw.
It will not absorb well, and it will cause damage, felt or not.
Ask any elderly person you know, and most will tell you that digestion is not going well for them. It adds up over time.

When soaking the oats, you are not using so much fluid that they are floating.
Just get them pretty wet for soaking. Dump them out in a pan and stick them in a very low oven overnight for drying.
Let your kitchen maid do the work for you ;)

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I thought the unsoaked grains also prevented your body from absorbing certain minerals, which could cause other health problems like bone loss, depression, anemia, allergies, etc...

Latest posts