Ideas for Money Making Projects

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im needing some money generated to pay for the goats, and a few other things. Im not aiming to pay for it all, just a down payment.

Here is what I have now:

*Easter Rabbit sale. A pet shop in a neighboring county will buy them for 7$ a piece.
*2 Buff Orpington Hatches, the school incubates and broods them without cost to us, they come from my eggs, so their is some money.
*Duckling Sale. Id like to hatch some Muscovies and sell them as well.

Anymore ideas?

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
How about selling "free range eggs"? I know the store bought eggs here are $1.79 a dozen, so selling the free range even for 1.50 a dozen might generate some income. I've also seen fertilized hatching eggs for sale. You could do that for both the buffs and the ducks maybe.

If you're crafty how about blown eggs decorated for Easter? or even decorated and made into Christmas ornaments?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sell fertile eggs to other chicken keepers. I make a good bit that way. I sell them for $5 a dozen here locally.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Growing up, it was always weeding, lawn mowing, or snow shoveling :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Selling free range eggs for $1.50 is probably selling them at a loss. Don't forget when you add up your expenses to include the cost of chicks and the cost of raising them to laying, the cost of keeping heritage breeds that don't lay an egg a day, the cost of keeping them through the molt and in winter when they don't lay as much, the cost of your time, electricity, etc. Contact your local Weston A Price Foundation chapter and if they are truly free ranging, you can get a LOT more for those eggs....at least $3 per dozen, more if you are near an urban area. More if they are soy-free. And more if they are organic.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
gutter cleaning, leaf raking, tree pruning, cleaning and hauling away brush/leaves for people....it's that time of year ya know! :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
abifae said:
Growing up, it was always weeding, lawn mowing, or snow shoveling :D
I agree. Hiring yourself out is your best choice. I don't think there is that much money to be made selling eggs, you certainly have to make them more than store eggs, not less. I was selling mine for 2.50-3.50 before the prices went up on feed, and I just went up a dollar, so my cheapest is 3.50 to FAMILY, where I feel I'm just barely covering costs.

I found my rabbits sell for a fortune at easter, but not any other time, at least so far. I have no bites on my current two, which are scheduled for freezer camp now.

When I was your age I made my best money baby-sitting children. But in your case, you are experienced with animals. What about an animal-care service, are there enough folks right around you that you could get to their homes? Taking care of dogs, cats, horses, and barnyard animals for folks who are away on a trip can be very lucrative. And you would be more knowledgeable than the average person your age, that is for sure. You'd be my first pick as animal caretaker if you lived in MY neighborhood.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Yeh, free range eggs here are 5-7 a dozen :) So mark them way up!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Eastern Kentucky is so different than other parts of the country. We barely get 2 dollars for our eggs.....if I could charge 5 or 7 I would believe me!

Thanks for the ideas!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There are a couple of chapters of the WAPF in the Lexington area...that could mean that some members are an hour in any direction. Don't know where you are but it might be worth a phone call or email if you are close. To let the chapter leader know that you have pastured eggs and are saving up for dairy goats. They (we) highly value such things.