Ideas for Money Making Projects

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
freemotion said:
There are a couple of chapters of the WAPF in the Lexington area...that could mean that some members are an hour in any direction. Don't know where you are but it might be worth a phone call or email if you are close. To let the chapter leader know that you have pastured eggs and are saving up for dairy goats. They (we) highly value such things.
Hmmmm thats an idea................

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I certainly would not try to sell eggs if that is what the local market were paying. Even if your chickens were mainly free-ranged, winter weather would put your business in the red over every season.

I'd try the petcare/animal care angle. I know some people making good money doing that.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Im needing some money generated to pay for the goats, and a few other things. Im not aiming to pay for it all, just a down payment.

Here is what I have now:

*Easter Rabbit sale. A pet shop in a neighboring county will buy them for 7$ a piece.
*2 Buff Orpington Hatches, the school incubates and broods them without cost to us, they come from my eggs, so their is some money.
*Duckling Sale. Id like to hatch some Muscovies and sell them as well.

Anymore ideas?
Keep in mind, Buff, that all these animals sold as pets or incubated at school could come back to you for free if you just leave info at the pet shop/school that you will take back any bunnies, chicks, ducklings that are no longer wanted out of their cute stage. Oft times you also can get cage and all....good way of getting more cages so you can grow more rabbits to sell to the unsuspecting parents...who will give you your bunnies right back again.

I've heard of a lady that did this with potbellied piglets....then she took back the no longer young pigs and sent them off to be butchered. Someone else did all the work and feeding to get them to butchering size and she benefitted from their reality check.

Recycling is lovely.... :D

You might advertise to pet sit for other people who have livestock/pets and who need to travel. You'd be great at it and could probably charge a good price and get it, depending on your area.

Do you live near a bigger town/city? When we lived in Newport, RI, folks were charging $14 per 20 min. to walk dogs....and couldn't keep up with the work volume! They were bonded and had their own house keys and would let themselves in, walk the dog, put the dog back in the house and make sure their water was fresh, etc. Seeing as they could walk a few dogs at a time, they were making out like bandits!

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Like the title of this thread: Ideas for Money Making Projects.

We're wanting to be self-sufficient by the end of next year. Working to figure out what we can sell during weekends at the flea market:
September
October
November (first 2 weekends only)

... then,

March
April
May (first 2 weekends only)

That would equal Fri, Sat, Sun x 20 weekends ... hoping to make about $23,000. Enough to pay basic bills for a year.

In the fall we can sell decorative gourds and luffa (which didn't grow very well this year). Spring we can sell blow-out egg shells or ??. All: perhaps eye pillows or my self-published booklets and cookbooks. Doesn't include selling throughout the year: eggs, chicks, produce, etc.

Thought about cooking home-style meals for people out here in the boonies, who don't want to drive 30 minutes to the nearest fast-food place, but don't want my kitchen inspected and I cook rather plain food. Except for my burgers (I use my dad's recipe).

None of my ideas seem like they would net us $23K, even spread out. I posted something similar to this earlier and got some good ideas, but I can't work outside the home, or with predictability because of my son (epilepsy and autism). Carpal tunnel so wouldn't be able to do too much repetitive work. Leg problems so couldn't walk dogs, etc PLUS we live too far away from clusters of houses to do much good.

Looking to reading this thread with interest.

Thanks, OP, for starting it.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I contacted one of the WAPF chapter leaders here in Lexington and she basically told me that she is a leader in name only because the group was not active... Maybe I need to pursue it again but at the time didn't have the time or energy. I didn't know there were two groups. I'm going to have to look again.

karens18cats

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
You can advertise on Craigslist for free - just follow their rules and no pet sales permitted, but livestock is OK. I'm in NE TN, so selling eggs here I'm lucky to get $2.00 a dozen. Do you have space and is there any market for starter plants - herbs, veggies or flowers and shrubs? You can use seeds, cuttings or root division and I occasionally find ads on Craigslist for free pots.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know summer is over and fall is here, but here we have a Farmer's market. It is a great place to sell veggies and crafts. I make little girl dresses and hair bows. I make good money at the Farmer's Market. I know others do too. Some sell jams and bake goods. This time of year the craft shows start up. They are great places to selling handmade items. Maybe you could come up with items to make and sell if you have craft shows around.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Not really money making but you might let people know that you are open to gleaning their fields. After they're done with their corn, you could walk the field and get what they missed for your animals, potatoes are another good one to glean.

Is there any way to make money on hunting season in your neck of the woods?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Craft shows are huge this time of the year. They start about fall and go to right before x-mas around here.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What are some really easy and fast and cheap ideas for crafts to sell for Christmas? Don't have a lot of money and my hands don't work great, but we're booking a spot at a huge flea market for the 2 weekends before Thanksgiving in November.

Something that'll...
-sell fast
-huge profit margin
-easy to make

Goal: to make a couple thousand dollars for 4 days at the flea market, sitting in the cold and wind.

Bath salts? But I'd need to buy little bottles. No good at lotions or soap. Can't sell edibles. Garden didn't do well enough to sell produce. Eggs are out too (besides, my girls aren't laying THAT good!). To sell booklets, I'd need to spend more money to make any (for set up costs, etc that I'm not ready to spend).

I have a laminator and some laminating sheets. What about a single lam sheet, front and back, for most-cooked Thanksgiving recipes? Christmas gift ideas? etc.

Thanks.