Ideas needed for six gallon food grade pails

dtinnan

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
we were selling 5 gallon buckets at a flea market once, getting a quarter each, with the lid. a lady came up and bought all we had. she had a catering business, and she used the buckets to transport dishes

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Getting rid of buckets!? This is foreign in our house! lol!

We use them for mixing cement, carting chicken feed, carrying weeds to the bin, holding "stuff," etc. I agree you could get some money for food grade buckets! You could also use them for food/ water for chickens, or even possibly as nest boxes! Not sure if they are big enough, but chickens don't need a lot of space for a nest.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have been researching the best price for F/G pails recently. We are now a large family of eight so we store a lot of food in them. I'ge had about 15 for years but we need many more for regular storage and for SHTF storage.

I forgot that pleasant hill grain had them. I checked out the freckleface site, what a difference in price !!

DSIN is going to check with the doughnut store he always goes to to see if they will sell theirs.

Monica

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
OK, as you know, I will have a gazillion of them to use and sell.

They are the perfect size for the first fermenting of beer and wine made in five gallon batches. My dad is going to get a grommet and drill a hole in a lid so one can be used for this purpose with an airlock. I may try to sell a couple this way, but I suspect the market will be saturated quickly. But who knows. These primary fermenting buckets sell for $15 at the brewing supply places. I bought one last summer. With creative cl advertising, I suspect I could sell a few for maybe half that.

I am also considering making a few into earthbucket planters and selling them with plants in them now, and if that goes well, making some over the winter to sell first thing in the spring. I have the materials needed on hand to make a few.

Any other ideas?

How much can I get for the plain empty buckets?
With what type covers? The local donut shop gets $1 for the lug type w/ or w/o lids. The screw down type are $2 w/o lids and $1 fpr a good lid. This 'cover charge' is new her new help can't be bothered to remove the lid, they just punch a hole thru it for the hose for the donut filler machine. Now she docks their pay for the lids they ruin. Do your your pails have any odors usually a brewer insists on a no odor pail. BTW check on the ehipping charges some have a upcharge based on volumn for light items.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
freemotion said:
Didn't think of that, ofg! Love you guys!

H23, they've been open all along! We went on a Sunday that time I described stepping over construction stuff....they were closed that day but working on stuff, they let us in when they saw us looking for the hours on the door.

I only have one empty pail now but will have a couple a week at least, I think, depending on how long it takes me to go through this grain. Right now I'm gradually switching them over by mixing it with the oats they are used to. I'm anxious to see if it sprouts...it should.
Cool, we drive by there every now and then and I always get the itch to try something new! 'Course beer is out with the gluten issues, but DH would enjoy doing that again. So for me, basic wine making???
I have seen recipies for gluten free beer, heck I have drank the stuff little known fact Bud uses more rice than barly in their brews most light beers use rice for the light color and taste. I like the taste of malt in my beer. If you do too you can get extracts where the gluten has been removed. Most gluten free diets rule out Beer because just about anything can be used in beer but malted barley gives the distinctive flavor.