Ideas needed for six gallon food grade pails

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
you should totally just advertise them on CL - i'll be people will snap them up.

and dont forget your favorite honey producers need food grade buckets!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Didn't think of that, ofg! Love you guys!

H23, they've been open all along! We went on a Sunday that time I described stepping over construction stuff....they were closed that day but working on stuff, they let us in when they saw us looking for the hours on the door.

I only have one empty pail now but will have a couple a week at least, I think, depending on how long it takes me to go through this grain. Right now I'm gradually switching them over by mixing it with the oats they are used to. I'm anxious to see if it sprouts...it should.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Didn't think of that, ofg! Love you guys!

H23, they've been open all along! We went on a Sunday that time I described stepping over construction stuff....they were closed that day but working on stuff, they let us in when they saw us looking for the hours on the door.

I only have one empty pail now but will have a couple a week at least, I think, depending on how long it takes me to go through this grain. Right now I'm gradually switching them over by mixing it with the oats they are used to. I'm anxious to see if it sprouts...it should.
Cool, we drive by there every now and then and I always get the itch to try something new! 'Course beer is out with the gluten issues, but DH would enjoy doing that again. So for me, basic wine making???

piecemaker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OK I'll bite what is an earth bucket
piecemaker

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My husband and I used this method when we lived in an apartment. The production capacity of each bucket or box is enormous!

RobinsValleyVT

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What about waterers and feeders for chickens? I've seen a lot of posts of BYC to DIY both. The feeders and waterers you buy at the farm store cost $30-40 each. Even if you sold them for $15-20 that's still a lot less.

karens18cats

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
These buckets come in really handy. I get the buckets free from the bakery at my local grocery store. We use them to store chicken feed and cat and dog food. I just made new chicken feeders and waterers from them last week. I keep one under my kitchen sink for compost scraps. When flour and sugar go sale I stock up and store it in the buckets because they are food-safe. We used them to grow tomato, pepper and cucumber plants this summer to increase our garden output. The larger ones make good emergency covers for tender plants and herbs if you get an early cold snap.