Ideas/ways to re-use/recycle "rubbish"?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Extension cords can be folded & stuck inside the tubes, makes a great egg candler -- egg at one end & high power flash light at other.

Garden -- cut long way & pry them around those new tomatoe plants next yr -- cutworm protection. Old panty hose legs are great if you need to use seven dust. Fill the leg, hang it among the plants and jiggle....the powdery fine dust gets all over those leaves. Fast & great coverage with little waste. Just walk & jiggle.

I have a lot of the large pill bottles, always find a use for them! label & store. (From 5 yrs of mom living here).

YES -- I recycle. It can get messy tho :hide My outside treasure piles can get large. But it is SURE a help for projects and emergency repairs! :cool:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the farm trash sculpture. Makes me want a small welder. My barn is wired for one....

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Toilet paper and paper towel tubes can be donated to any local zoo or humane society and to many pet stores. They use them for habitats for small animals, and also for toys. We always collected them.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So I saw a neat little picture of a basically free diy cell phone speaker booster.

Needed was 2 empty water bottles and a toilet roll tube. One pair of scissors later plus 15 minutes for me to make my holes and cut off the bottle ends.

It does work to amplify the sound and was free. This is going in the bathroom for my showers.

20170905_223720.jpg

Old tried and true method, which I tested against was to put the phone in a bowl. My double sized bowls work best. Same volume increase.

20170905_223749.jpg

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH is very creative. He gets free (empty)bottles from the local Mexican restaurant and paints them:
IMG_20170921_181412.jpg

He also paints mason jars that can't be used for canning anymore:
1506036257962-1778156170.jpg

And he found an old wood frame, added a piece of plywood backing, then painted it with chalkboard paint to make a picture frame in the dining room that can change any time he wants it to (this one might never change):
IMG_20170921_181445.jpg

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Btw @Beekissed I really like the little playhouse you built. I have two grand girls, and one is coming to stay with me for the next three weeks. I see a project we can do together :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Btw @Beekissed I really like the little playhouse you built. I have two grand girls, and one is coming to stay with me for the next three weeks. I see a project we can do together :)

It was a fun project...don't have to look perfect when you are scrapping it together out of pallets. The more rustic it looks, the better, so it sure did suit my style.

The girls still love it and play in it each time they are here.

I hope you guys have fun building one!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
DH is very creative. He gets free (empty)bottles from the local Mexican restaurant and paints them:
View attachment 4814
He also paints mason jars that can't be used for canning anymore:
View attachment 4815
And he found an old wood frame, added a piece of plywood backing, then painted it with chalkboard paint to make a picture frame in the dining room that can change any time he wants it to (this one might never change):
View attachment 4816

LOVE your hubby's creativity and how he thinks! :love