If the SHTF today......

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sadly, most of what you will find about Ibiza online deals with the tourists and nightlife etc that has sprung up in the last 30 years or so. I did find this site , that seems to be dedicated to the true culture of Ibiza

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ORChick said:
lee&lyric said:
Britesea said:
What did people do in the old days before electricity?
That's the 10,000,000 question. Our quest has been to find out how natives to the area lived and thrived hundreds of years ago. We know it can be done. The readings Moolie shared will surely be a help on our journey. :D
Certainly learning how the native Americans lived could prove very useful at some point, but you might also want to learn how the European settlers managed in your climate before electricity. I know that there are various architectural styles that can be employed to minimize summer heat - such as porches with wide roofs, or breezeways. Small windows and thick walls also. Summer kitchens outside the house, and cool cellars. Many/most modern homes don't take advantage of these as A/C is the norm, but if one is building or renovating it is something to think about.
Here is a link to my ancestral plantation home, built by my great, great, great, great grandfather. Not that I condone the plantation life, but the house was well constructed and is still standing 200 years later. I have been there and the rooms are laid out on a grid. There is a center hall way, all the room's doors line up with the door accross the hall. All the windows line up with windows in the room accross the hall. There is almost always a breeze in the hallway. The house is 6 feet off the ground, sectioned into "rooms" that are really brick supports for the house. There are registers in the walls under the house and they all line up with each other. There is no mold or musty smell. The outside walls (brick) fan out about 4 feet at ground level and go six feet down. The original kitchen was located in back of the house. While this house is 3 stories, entirely made of brick from clay on the land and would be more than a bit excessive for our purposes, I thought the architecture would be intresting for anyone wondering how people lived with out air conditioning 200 years ago.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mysouthernfamily/hickoryhill.html

http://louisdl.louislibraries.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/LHP&CISOPTR=961&CISOBOX=1&REC=7

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We lived in a house in California that had been built in 1930 from pieces of 3 older homes that were torn down on the farm. Although it had electricity, it was still built to take advantage of the breezes and such. We were usually quite comfortable all summer long by opening the house up after 4pm, when the afternoon breeze started, and closing it in the morning about 9 or 10- before the heat got bad. We did have a ceiling fan to move the air when the house was closed up.

The house we have now isn't set up as well, unfortunately, but we still use the technique of opening house up in the evening and closing it during the day.

StupidBird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Leta, what a thoughtful post. It coincides with my discovery last week, of the fact that it seems (reading posts of war-time bosnia and some other SHTF places of recent time) not of how much you had, but who you know and what you know. That the ones who survived were the ones who blended in, got along, and had some minimum number of people working together in cooperation in chaos.

So sure, I have a big garden, chickens, know lots of foraging stuff, some first aid, have some stuff squirreled away. But I don't know ANY ONE OF MY NEIGHBORS. I have lived in this subdivision twenty friggin' years and not one household talks to another. We will all die. No matter if we all had a basement full of ammo, these houses would be picked off one by one by mobs, theives, disease, disaster. Unless we miraculously had time to make a community of ourselves, there are just not the numbers. Even in a peaceful disaster, I question if our household would be enough hands to do the work to sustain ourselves.

Your moment of truth there was very well said.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
StupidBird said:
Leta, what a thoughtful post. It coincides with my discovery last week, of the fact that it seems (reading posts of war-time bosnia and some other SHTF places of recent time) not of how much you had, but who you know and what you know. That the ones who survived were the ones who blended in, got along, and had some minimum number of people working together in cooperation in chaos.

So sure, I have a big garden, chickens, know lots of foraging stuff, some first aid, have some stuff squirreled away. But I don't know ANY ONE OF MY NEIGHBORS. I have lived in this subdivision twenty friggin' years and not one household talks to another. We will all die. No matter if we all had a basement full of ammo, these houses would be picked off one by one by mobs, theives, disease, disaster. Unless we miraculously had time to make a community of ourselves, there are just not the numbers. Even in a peaceful disaster, I question if our household would be enough hands to do the work to sustain ourselves.

Your moment of truth there was very well said.
You should read James Rawles Survivors. :) There's a section about just what you are saying about subdivisions. :) American houses burn easy and defend like castles with big windows. Concrete and bricks are your friends. Like the army teaches. Make sure there is thickness between you and the bullets. :) Sandbags, ammo cans with rolls of pennies are great barriers. I believe a SHTF will come in stages and is happening in stages. They can slow it down but it is inevitable with the conditions and situations that are going on. I hope not but be prepared. :) We are such a detached society. No one knows there neighbors, no one cares, everyone for themself. These are things we really need to fix in our communities. LOCAL CONTROL & SECURITY!! Knowledge of your system around you will help too. Zombies don't plan or believe there is nothing wrong and someone will be there for them YEAH RIGHT!!! When people are starving humanity goes out the window. :( Anyway I digress and will stop mid-day babbling. :)

Take care and god be with you in a subdivision. RAWLES Survivors will give you some ideas. Hope this helps.