If you could..........

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wel if i could change anythign about the little patch of land i bought...

1: id add another couple of acres...4 1/2 is penty big enough for my plans, but im a big fan of more lol.
2: the land wouldnt have been left alone untended for so long...alot of things that are going to hold my progress up is going to be geting the brush and some of the trees cleared tomake space/usable and accessable land ect
3: it would be permimter fenced already...lol, im NOT looking forwrd to the expensive of that job as i want the entire property perimeter fenced.

in terms of my dreams, i have many for this place.

i want to fence off out back a little bit so the dogs have a bigger play area, id Love to put a lap pool and hot tub back there too, and a nice little seating area around a fire pit...a nother nice seating area around a small outdoor kitchen and pretty flowers...lots and lots of pretty flowers.

then behind that i want the orchard to go in, nothing special, just semi dwarf fruit trees, planning apples, pears (eur and asian) plums, peaches nectarines and mabe plumotes or another apricot hybrid (i like the plumotes though :)
the orchard will be fenced in itself, behind the orchard at the back of the property will go the sheep feild, shetlands, 2 ewes and a ram i think and mabe a couple of alpaca geldings...all for lovely wool :D, their feild will have a gate acess to the orchard so i can let them in there to mow for me :D
thered be a small "barn" back there for the sheep (2 car garage size) for the sheep and alpaca
i want a berry patch too with all kinds of berries...
and a small "vineyard" just 9-12 grape vines, but enough fo my own fresh eating :)

a veggie garden for MY consumption next to the house, mostly salad fixings, a larger veggie garden elsewhere with all the bgger stuff and hopefully enough to sell on a small stall...and then a 3rd vegie garden for animal feed for the rabbits (kale, carrots even dandelion ect...)

will probably want a small grain patch too...mostly corn, mabe quinoa and millet too!

a small dairy herd, either all nubians or nuians and lamanchas, probably 4 girls would be enough, (and ind ream world id also have a mini jersey or a dexter cow too)

id have a large barn built that would be the goat barn in par t and the other part feed and "toy" storage, with a solid hay lof above (which would have all the fancy gadgets to make hauling the hay up and down alot easier)

id build a little cottage on the land specifically for guests too.

and in dream world id also have a small horse barn with a pair of noerwegian fjord horses :D

quail, rabbit, chickens turkey, geese, ducks...

and 2 sarplaniac or centra asian shepherd dogs as LGD's

Oh and a glostershire old spot pig...i plan to have one but on dream farm id have a breeding trio!

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
If you could

What changes would you make to your homestead?

I would definitely add half a dozen heritage breeding meat turkeys. I would add a Jersey/Guernsey milk cow that had adequate pasture for almost total food reliance. Then I'd have a larger chicken coop for about 24 hens and 1 rooster of a large homesteading breed like Delewares. Then I'd expand the garden from 100 by 50 to 75 by 100. Add a larger orchard. Then Id have pastures for my rabbits and chickens. Then my house would be all off grid, wood cooking, wood heat, and water from the well. Then Id want places to hunt and cut my own firewood........

Maybe one day I will have this ............ :drool
I would have more coops for meaties and turkeys and I would have a bigger rabbitry

I would have a different house complete with LARGE walk-in pantry.

I would have my own processing kitchen where I could process my chickens and rabbits for sell.

have a much bigger garden

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2dream said:
What ya gonna do FC? You are aware that you will have to post a thread showing your progress?
:p

pics would be of hubby doing the work....I am the supervisor and CEO of the project. I stay clean and happy and bark orders at the help! :)

ugh ya know truly, even the thought of that project seems too much for me. I am already dreading the work to re-open the pool in late spring....:lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Well....lets see, I would have a cabin with a wood stove and an attached sun room that would double as a greenhouse.

More pasture so we could start a herd of dexter cattle and more wooded property that we could fence in for the dairy goats.

Space for a big garage with processing room, freezer space, and pantry space that is connected to the house and insulated for temp control. Would also double as space to make cheese and soap.

A bigger barn.

Space for a few pigs to raise every year and space for turkeys as well.

Bigger tractors on bigger pastures so we could do multiple large batches of meat chickens to process and sell.

And as long as we are dreaming big....a couple of money trees :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Nice dreams everyone! Maybe one day they will come true!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
planning on it!
Might take me the next 25 years, but ill get there lol

nice part about being young...plenty of time to work on it!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
planning on it!
Might take me the next 25 years, but ill get there lol

nice part about being young...plenty of time to work on it!
YES VERY NICE!

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If we had the money I would build another garage,and make the old one a game room.
I would add a deck off the bedroom,and put in an enclosed hot tub.
I would add a greehouse.
I would line the entire fence line with something tall to block out the neighbors.
I would add a pool.
I would add more orchard trees.
I would add more raised gardens.
I would raise rabbits for meat.
I would raise chickens just for meat.
I would add a coop to the far back yard for summer.
I would replace my metal chicken shed with a decent coop.
I would put a cisterin(sp) in to collect water.
I would add a wood burning stove like my grandma had for cooking and heating.
I would add solar panels to the roof even just to heat my water.

Even though we are poor some of these things we CAN do and I will.

Latest posts