If you had to evacuate?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
AHappyChick said:
wow I am gonna love answering this finally someone may not think I am crazy...

I have built survival kits there is one in every car of my loved ones as well as mine of course. I will post later as to its contents but rest assured short of chemical attack I am covered for at least 3-5 weeks. In addition I have made my own medical kits. I have a packed bag of clothes, an arsenal of weapons (all legal) and I hope to have a Quigley van but for now my w8 passatt will have to speed us to safety. I have 30 gallons of gas that I keep at all times so that I can get to where I am going with almost mo need to fill up. I figure I can have my sister, and son in the car on our way to safety in about 30 minutes (24 is way to long) So where are we going, well anyone who has one of my kits also has directions (with 3 separate routes since who knows if the bridges around me will be standing) to Prescott AZ where my family has a empty house that has a generator, and all other necessities and is situated on a mountain side with only one access street to worry about. It is there that I would set up my loved ones and myself to ride out whatever may happen.
This is the type of info I was looking for!!
I would love to hear more about what is in your kits....I think you kind of posted them in the first aid and food supply list threads though.
What size box/ container do you have in each persons car?
Do you store a container in the house that is ready to just be thrown in the car or do you store it in the car?

AHappyChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
AHappyChick said:
wow I am gonna love answering this finally someone may not think I am crazy...

I have built survival kits there is one in every car of my loved ones as well as mine of course. I will post later as to its contents but rest assured short of chemical attack I am covered for at least 3-5 weeks. In addition I have made my own medical kits. I have a packed bag of clothes, an arsenal of weapons (all legal) and I hope to have a Quigley van but for now my w8 passatt will have to speed us to safety. I have 30 gallons of gas that I keep at all times so that I can get to where I am going with almost mo need to fill up. I figure I can have my sister, and son in the car on our way to safety in about 30 minutes (24 is way to long) So where are we going, well anyone who has one of my kits also has directions (with 3 separate routes since who knows if the bridges around me will be standing) to Prescott AZ where my family has a empty house that has a generator, and all other necessities and is situated on a mountain side with only one access street to worry about. It is there that I would set up my loved ones and myself to ride out whatever may happen.
This is the type of info I was looking for!!
I would love to hear more about what is in your kits....I think you kind of posted them in the first aid and food supply list threads though.
What size box/ container do you have in each persons car?
Do you store a container in the house that is ready to just be thrown in the car or do you store it in the car?
A nap sack with everything I mentioned stays in the trunk of every car this way there is always one around no thought needed or time wasted :) The larger one is in my emergency closet with my gun safes and other assorted items I had to have lol I will take a picture of the whole thing later tonight and post it.

AHappyChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Happy ---- Sounds like you have a plan of action.. Great job. I think for us we would be best to just sit tight where we are. Depending on the disaster of course.
Oh I do, most things I would ride out here at my home, but most of the disasters I can think of that would happen in the area I am in (NYC) could involve me having to get out really quick. My town is right next to the Bronx, I lost several friends in 911 and now expect the worst but hope for the best. :)

I really am covered for everything except chemical in my opinion. I want to get these Millennium 2000 NIOSH approved Chemical suits and masks These are the really good ones. But they do not make it in my sons size and I would never protect myself more than him so we will just perish together. When he is a bit taller and I have the money I will get them, but they are over $800 a piece and that may take a while.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Being that we have a farm...and animals...we would most likely stay put unless ordered out. Hubby and I both have pickup trucks...easy to load, and lots of room. I have a rubbermaid tub...its our "disaster tub" It has a small camp coffee pot with filters, creamer,sugar,and coffee.There are pencils and paper, cards, and dominos. ( have to have SOME intertainment) There are several baggies that I change out about once a year.tooth brushes..toothpaste, and mouthwash. I am a freebie junkie on the internet..so I have literally hundreds of free samples of shampoo,body wash,laundry soap and dish soap. I have free samples of antacids,pain relievers,bandaids,neosporin, bandages, peroxide and alcohol. There are a few plastic cups and small camp plates. Several candles( I think 20 or so) There are a few sharp knives, and a pack of metal silverware(from the thrift store) I have Duct tape,electrical tape, and sand paper. There is fishing line( and hooks) A sewing kit and hair ties,clips,etc. I have Thermal blankets, waterproof matches and a few happy meal toys in case we run into someone with scared young children.Everything in this tub is sealed in food saver bags. This tub will fit in the floorboard of my truck...with a few pillows and blankets..and the 3 pomeranians will ride on top.Thier leashes are always in the truck...with ratchet straps ( 4) in each truck. The Doberman will ride with the hubby in his truck. We have a camp stove and several small bottles of propane in the garage at easy acess and a tent and several chairs that fold into tarp like bags. I have a large animal cage that I could grab a few laying hens( probably 25 or so, and a rooster) it fits in the bed of my truck perfectly,along with 2 bails of straw and 2 metal trash cans of feed.The rest I would turn out, to fend for themselves. I have a back seat in my truck, I can fit the laundry,bedding,towels,and pictures and important papers. I have a small ammount of cash on hand at all times.( less than $200.) The pics are in tubs already. Hubbys truck would hold tarps(we have several) some firewood, and tubs with dry goods. We have 2 tubs we keep flour,sugar,pasta, beans and rice in...and I rotate it every few months. Canned goods would go into boxes in his truck as well.
I would grab a few large pots, and a few pans...and of course, my jewlery and our weapons. I know we can be loaded and on the road in less than 24 hours.Where would we go? Im not sure...but wherever we landed, we would be OK, for a while. Here are a few pics of our "disaster tub"
99_dsc00314.jpg

99_dsc00317.jpg

99_dsc00316.jpg

99_dsc00315.jpg

99_dsc00314.jpg

Am I paranoid?? Not at all...just prepared...I hope.

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have really never thought of it since most of our disasters are caused from tornadoes. But I do need to make something to take to the bathroom with us in case of a tornado. I make the girls put on their riding helmets and grab their large stuffed animals.

Thanks for this post! I really need to start thinking about this more since we had so many tornadoes this last year.

jackie

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Justusnak!! That is awesome! You ladies are really motivating me to be more prepared! A deck of cards is a fantastic idea! I love the idea of putting all of the free samples in! Duct tape is a fantastic idea for an emergency tub at home!
It sounds like you have a great plan also!!

AHappyChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Being that we have a farm...and animals...we would most likely stay put unless ordered out. Hubby and I both have pickup trucks...easy to load, and lots of room. I have a rubbermaid tub...its our "disaster tub" It has a small camp coffee pot with filters, creamer,sugar,and coffee.There are pencils and paper, cards, and dominos. ( have to have SOME intertainment) There are several baggies that I change out about once a year.tooth brushes..toothpaste, and mouthwash. I am a freebie junkie on the internet..so I have literally hundreds of free samples of shampoo,body wash,laundry soap and dish soap. I have free samples of antacids,pain relievers,bandaids,neosporin, bandages, peroxide and alcohol. There are a few plastic cups and small camp plates. Several candles( I think 20 or so) There are a few sharp knives, and a pack of metal silverware(from the thrift store) I have Duct tape,electrical tape, and sand paper. There is fishing line( and hooks) A sewing kit and hair ties,clips,etc. I have Thermal blankets, waterproof matches and a few happy meal toys in case we run into someone with scared young children.Everything in this tub is sealed in food saver bags. This tub will fit in the floorboard of my truck...with a few pillows and blankets..and the 3 pomeranians will ride on top.Thier leashes are always in the truck...with ratchet straps ( 4) in each truck. The Doberman will ride with the hubby in his truck. We have a camp stove and several small bottles of propane in the garage at easy acess and a tent and several chairs that fold into tarp like bags. I have a large animal cage that I could grab a few laying hens( probably 25 or so, and a rooster) it fits in the bed of my truck perfectly,along with 2 bails of straw and 2 metal trash cans of feed.The rest I would turn out, to fend for themselves. I have a back seat in my truck, I can fit the laundry,bedding,towels,and pictures and important papers. I have a small ammount of cash on hand at all times.( less than $200.) The pics are in tubs already. Hubbys truck would hold tarps(we have several) some firewood, and tubs with dry goods. We have 2 tubs we keep flour,sugar,pasta, beans and rice in...and I rotate it every few months. Canned goods would go into boxes in his truck as well.
I would grab a few large pots, and a few pans...and of course, my jewlery and our weapons. I know we can be loaded and on the road in less than 24 hours.Where would we go? Im not sure...but wherever we landed, we would be OK, for a while. Here are a few pics of our "disaster tub"
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/99_dsc00314.jpg

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/99_dsc00317.jpg

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/99_dsc00316.jpg

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/99_dsc00315.jpg

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/99_dsc00314.jpg

Am I paranoid?? Not at all...just prepared...I hope.
oh very nice!!!! Oh I have added the crazy glue, and ratchet ties (my friend who is in the army said they make a good tourniquet and are very useful.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
justusnak

Ok, hook me up with this free sample thing... Is it just one site or several? that is a great idea.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
justusnak

Ok, hook me up with this free sample thing... Is it just one site or several? that is a great idea.
ITA! Justusnak can you start a thread and post links to free things to apply for??

If you call Chapstick and compliment them on how good their chapstick is they will send you free samples. I think I got 6 or 8 tubes and my friend who also did it got 4 tubes for free.