If you have laminate flooring...

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
what do you clean it with?

I used to use Swiffer's, but I hate the disposable waste and the film it leaves. My floor is always mottled and spotty looking. We do have dogs in the house, so it may be just the nature of the pads on their paws. But, I also see shoe prints, even right after mopping. :he I've even tried windex.

Do you have a homemade cleaner that doesn't leave a residue? :hu

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Honestly, I just mop with water most of the time. I sweep the floor real well, and then mop with water. And when it needs something more, on occasion, I use a (overpriced, but I'm a bit of a hippie) "Method" brand floor cleaner that's biodegradable and doesn't leave much of a film.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, I use lysol and water..that's it.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is what I use on my bamboo floors
1/2 c vinegar to 1 gallon of water. Works great!

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use a recipe I found online with great results.

1/3 vinegar
1/3 rubbing alcohol
1/3 water
(you can add a few drops of dishwashing soap if you want)

I keep it in a spray bottle. I bought a swiffer - like mop thing and some microfiber cloths. I tuck the cloth into the corners of the mop. Spray the floor as I go. Doesn't take much. I haven't had any problems and the floor looks great when I'm done.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

BB, I'm gonna try your vinegar spray. In-laws are coming over this weekend for DH's birthday. Need I say more...?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Vinegar /water is probably your best bet.
Ditto. I don't have them now but had them in a previous house. About one part white vinegar 3 parts water.

ETA, I also used to walk behind the mop, standing on a towel. I found there were no streaks if I wiped it up right away--added bonus of a little dance type workout :)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
punkin said:
Thanks for the replies.

BB, I'm gonna try your vinegar spray. In-laws are coming over this weekend for DH's birthday. Need I say more...?
Oh I feel you. My house is a never ending never finished project. AND my Grandma who may be old but had lasik done has perfect vision to go with her perfect housecleaning skills :(
and my Aunty who was the perfect parent...not even going there can you say ADD
and my Dad who is allergic to animals. We have 3 indoor dogs, and 11 chickens.
And the best part is they are staying for over a MONTH :ep
I am so overwhelmed with trying to prepare for them. It won't be good enough, but I have too much stress to care.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
punkin said:
Thanks for the replies.

Oh I feel you. My house is a never ending never finished project. AND my Grandma who may be old but had lasik done has perfect vision to go with her perfect housecleaning skills :(
and my Aunty who was the perfect parent...not even going there can you say ADD
and my Dad who is allergic to animals. We have 3 indoor dogs, and 11 chickens.
And the best part is they are staying for over a MONTH :ep
I am so overwhelmed with trying to prepare for them. It won't be good enough, but I have too much stress to care.
A month is too long to be considered a guest at my house. Inform them of where the bucket and mop are, and all the other cleaning supplies. That's what I would do, and have done :D