If you have laminate flooring...

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I almost died when they said how long. They originally were coming for the week of Thanksgiving but then decided that they wanted to make the trip worthwhile so planned on staying longer. I am reluctant, but this is the first trip my 85 yr old Gma has ever taken to come see my family (we move every 2-3 years). I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I have forewarned them my house is nothing like they are used to. We are in the middle of a remodel and do not even have flooring in the family room. It is beyond embarrassing for me because I tend to want things to look nice all the time. I am just going to try to enjoy their company and not worry about it. On a positive note they have decided to bring my Dads RV so I am hoping they will take off and do things around this part of the country while they are here.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
That is what I use on my bamboo floors
1/2 c vinegar to 1 gallon of water. Works great!
That's what I use. Then if you want a shine. Use a little furniture polish on your dust mop. Not alot though or it will build up.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Scotty, I am with you on the Method cleaning products. Since we switched over to everything Method, I don't have sore throats and a runny nose after every housecleaning. The stuff seems expensive, but I use even less of the stuff than they call for. A bottle of laundry detergent lasts forever.
I signed up to be a method advocate several years ago, when we first discovered it at Target. Since then, they have sent me full-sized samples whenever they come out with a new product. Nice!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I buy the method cleaners/hand and dish soap on clearance after the holidays at target, half price for gingerbread and such but who cares. Also I love the Mrs Meyers holiday scents,buying those also at clearance prices.
Honestly though I make most all my cleaners, vinegar and borax are my favorites.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I want to do an extra clean, I use a mixture of 1/4C. baking soda, 1C. household ammonia, 1/2C.vinegar, 1 gal. warm water. I don't use this much as I don't like using ammonia. When I do use it I also wash the floor a second time with just hot water.

I usually just use the hottest water that comes out of my tap. Sometimes I add vinegar also.

I no longer buy any cleaners, I make my own or just use vinegar and hot water.

I will start a thread with all my household cleaner recipes.

Monica

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My whole house is wood laminate floors except the bathrms, utility rm & kitchen & I love them! NEVER, NEVER, EVER use swiffer cloths on wood floors, it SCRATCHES them! Did I say NEVER? I used to use vinegar & water & now i use my shark steam mop & love it!!!!! If you don't change your pad it will leave streaks behind, but a dust mop with a light coat of furniture polish will take those right up. But they do show footprints real easy is the downside to that. My dh's boots are the worse for leaving prints behind!!! :barnie