ILLINOIS Gas Tax - hooray were #2

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Goodness, those are fierce hikes! I understand the need for taxes, but ouch.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They can call it the Pot Hole initiative.

I like it :thumbsup

I'm ok with higher taxes on cigs, booze, pot, etc. Those addictives are optional and if you want/use them, pay more in taxes. It will help offset things that many NEED and can't afford, like meds & food. Gas, well that's harsh. Although those states with highly traveled transport vehicles should get more there as that is a lot of what causes road damage.

In VA the ABC stores are all VA state owned! Many attempts have been made to change that but, this state is not going to give up such a $$$ maker! Only beer & wine can be sold outside the ABC stores. I've been in areas where you could get a 5th of Jack Daniels at the grocery. Not here. We do have lower food sales taxes (2.5%), higher on restaurant foods (12.5%), no tax on meds, and 6.5% on general sales tax. Not sure the rate on gas but, plenty! :D It's in the 25-30 cent a gal range because I buy "off road" diesel for my tractor and save that much.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Gotta love the reality of unintended consequences. Ohio just raised taxes on a gallon of gas, too. Not long ago, the city of Cleveland had a large water/sewer rate hike due to decreased usage.

So tax something based on consumption, then get upset because increased cost drives down demand.

I swear, I think law makers need to play the old SimCity PC game and post their scores as part of their election filings.

For those unaware, this game challenged the user to build and develop a city of their own. It had multiple variables to be managed, taxes, infrastructure, safety forces, cultural, commerce, etc. If you got completely frustrated, there was a cheat that unleashed a Godzilla-like monster to destroy your work. Lol

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I noticed that the results of a study on how to raise state income without tax hikes was released to the government in May, but apparently the methods they outlined weren't sexy enough or something....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I noticed that the results of a study on how to raise state income without tax hikes was released to the government in May, but apparently the methods they outlined weren't sexy enough or something....

Not that it wasn't sexy - it was common sense.

Latest posts