I'm bored and looking for new recipes.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
thanks moolie, I will be adding those to my recipe box.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Baked chicken

1 dead chicken
McCormick's Carribbean Jerk Seasoning

Generously sprinkle the jerk seasoning inside the chicken and outside, top and bottom. Place in large covered pot. Add a little water to keep bottom from burning. Bake at 350 degrees several hours or until a fork will twist easily in the meat.

Serve with vegetables that are in season at that time. Cook a pot of beans to go with it.

Leftover chicken

Fry whole corn tortillas until crispy. Mash some of the leftover beans and put on the tortillas. Try to keep the beans as dry as possible so the tortilla doesn't get soggy. Top with chopped or shredded chicken, slices of bell pepper or jalepenos, and cheese. Place them on a cookie sheet and heat in oven at 350 degrees until cheese melts and is bubbly. Make a salad to go with it, and serve.

Leftover chicken #2

Boil the carcass in the pot the chicken was baked in. The Carribbean Jerk seasoning is already in the broth, so won't need to add much more seasoning. Take carcass out and let cool, pick remaining meat off bones and throw back in the pot. Add chopped onion, celery, bell pepper and any other vegetables that may be in season. Add pasta noodles and cook until tender. Serve with garlic french bread.

If you have a large family, start with two baked chickens so you can use the leftovers to make other meals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stir Fry

Cut your choice of meat into bite size pieces, about 2 cups, more or less.
1/2 cup almonds or your favorite nuts
8 dried hot peppers

Saute these in iron skillet until meat is almost done. Take out and set aside.

2 cups broccoli (separated into small florets)
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup cauliflower (separated into small florets)
1/2 cup chopped red cabbage
1 cup dehydrated tomatoes, chopped

Saute vegetables so they are heated, but still crisp. Add meat back in and heat through. Serve over rice with apricot glaze and 1/2 cup sunflower seeds scattered over the top.

Apricot glaze- 1 cup apricot jam. 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger or 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, and 1/4 cup water. Place in sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce if too thin, pour over stir fry!

You can use what ever meat you desire and what vegetables that are in season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I'm bored I take up some ethnic cooking. Indian food is the latest foray. I spent 50 $ on spices and a few other supplies and it's totally great. Learning to use spices like Indians has been really fun.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
When I'm bored I take up some ethnic cooking. Indian food is the latest foray. I spent 50 $ on spices and a few other supplies and it's totally great. Learning to use spices like Indians has been really fun.
Wanna share your favorites? :drool

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To name a few flat cinnamon, whole nutmeg, cumin, tumeric, corriander. In Indian cooking, it seems to be about the combination of spieces and how the spices are prepared. Haven't quite figured it out yet but I've made a few items that my family really likes. Now I'm thinking about Vietnamese cooking. Lots of thin soup, rice noodles, and translucent summer rolls. It's easy to get the kids to eat their salad when you wrap it up in a rice-paper burrito!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My whole family loves porcupine meatballs, I make this recipe because it does not use canned soup as the base and it's cheap to make!

1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup chopped onion I just throw in a tablespoon or so of Penzeys dry toasted onions, they are the only onion my family doesn't complain about!
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 lb ground beef
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce (I throw in a pinch of italian seasoning)
1 cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar( I don't use any sugar )
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

1In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients.
2Add the ground beef and mix well.
3Shape meat mixture into 1- 1/2 inch balls.
4Heat oil in large skillet.
5Brown meatballs in oil.
6After meatballs have browned, drain oil and fat.
7In a medium size bowl, combine the tomato sauce, water, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meatballs in skillet.
8Reduce heat; cover skillet and simmer for 1 hour. (mine never take more than 45)

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/jennifers-porcupine-meatballs-66142?oc=linkback

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/07/13/paleo-rogan-josh/

Paleo Rogan Josh
This is easily doubled; make 2 lbs. of meat and enjoy leftovers.

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon coconut oil or olive oil
1 lb. lamb or beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 large onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup water
salt & pepper
3 tablespoons homemade Rogan Josh seasoning or 2 tablespoons of Penzeys blend

Directions:
1. Sprinkle meat generously with salt & pepper. Toss to coat.
2. Heat oil in a sauce pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add meat and brown well on all sides. Heres a tip from me to you: respect the contact. Put the meat in there and let it be for at least 5 minutes so it gets a nice brown crust resist the temptation to stir it around. Give it some private time and it will reward you for your generosity. (Do that with people and get the same result. Neat!)
3. When the meat is brown, add the chopped onion and cook until the onions begin to soften and get little brown spots.
4. Add the rogan josh seasoning to the pan and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. The spices really come to life in the fat so let them revel in it a bit.
5. Add the coconut milk and water to the pan. Mix well, turn the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Let the meat braise in the coconut milk for 1-2 hours.
6. When times up, remove the lid and let the sauce thicken a bit maybe 2 minutes or so. Inhale deeply and enjoy the fact that you have a nose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a few more favorites!
http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-pork-and-apple-meatballs-gary-rhodes-174589
http://www.food.com/recipe/family-favorite-sesame-chicken-239398
http://www.food.com/recipe/crack-slaw-low-carb-434863 (sriracha is a must)
http://www.food.com/recipe/perfect-prime-rib-73866 (I cook for 75 minutes for the first round for med rare)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I could not agree more k15n1, I always turn to ethnic recipes when I am bored in the kitchen, shoot I have more spices than some supermarkets :lol: right now I am on the hunt for the perfect ceviche recipe and a copycat version of a Himalayan lentil soup I had a restaurant recently that was out of this world.
We have been making paneer homemade and frying it for curries as well, YUMMMMM.